Scrapbooking Techniques & Tips – Personalising Your Backgrounds

One of my fave hobbies is Scrapbooking. So I thought I might run a series of Scrapbooking Techniques & Tips on the subject. If you find this useful, I’d really appreciate you leaving a comment so I can get an idea of whether it’s worthwhile continuing with this or not.

Here we go.

When you have a special photo and you really want to ‘showcase the moment’ try scanning an item of clothing that the subject was wearing in the photo and using it as your background for the layout. It doesn’t matter if there are creases or seams or pockets in the scanned image; that will only add to the uniqueness of the background.

My suggestion would be to scan at the highest resolution that you can. Then using your photo editing or drawing software (Photoshop Elements 4 is my weapon of choice), open a new file with a transparent background in the size of your layout. I usually pick a resolution of 300dpi for a good quality print.

Drag your scanned image onto the new file (it appears as a new layer in PSE4). You can then move it around to find the best section to cover your background layer. You can Shift-drag on the corner of the image to reduce the size if necessary but don’t worry if parts hang off the edge of the background layer.

Once you’ve positioned the image as you like it, crop it to the size of the background layer and build your layout.

The example below is a photo of my daughter dressed for her formal in her last year of High School. The background is a scan of the velvet dress she wore on the night.

seona-formal.jpg

Scrapbooking Techniques & Tips – Photomerge: Electronic versions of your paper scrapbook layouts

Scrapbooking Techniques & Tips – Upsizing your digital photographs and images

Scrapbooking Techniques & Tips – Printing your digital layouts

Step by Step Digital Scrapbook
The digital scrapbooking course that’s designed especially for beginners.
Learn how to digital scrapbook and create wonderful art works from your photos quickly and easily on your computer.
No mess, no special workspace needed, no cleaning up.

12 Responses to Scrapbooking Techniques & Tips – Personalising Your Backgrounds

1. heather October 2, 2006 at 2:46 pm #

This is great Karen!! I know Clikchics are desperate for more tutorials and tips.. would you be interested in including it there?? Just a thought, it might be nice for you to be “published” at a site, it’s a great tip :)

2. heather October 2, 2006 at 10:11 pm #

Hi Karen, I’ve asked about getting tutorials/tips into Clikchics and what you have to do is send it to Robyn (Clikchic) and take it from there… if it gets approved, then it’s into the Articles/Tutorials section!

3. sam October 9, 2006 at 11:03 pm #

hi ya – i think these tips are fantastic, i got your blogpage from scrapboxx (i am pootle) & would be interested in reading more

thanks
    sam

4. Mel Diener March 18, 2007 at 3:16 pm #

This is gorgeous. I actually scanned my dd’s favourite dress and used as a background in an SC article I did. Can’t remember which issue, but it was called colour v’s black and white..quite a while ago now.

Love that you are writing tutorials here..

5. Corina March 22, 2007 at 7:45 am #

I love the idea, even if I do not have a scanner now!

6. Tami Stephens August 4, 2007 at 10:15 am #

Hi, there. Thanks so much for the article. I’m a little lazy and it would require going to the “other” computer and scanning and then bringing over to my notebook, but in certain cases, like your example, it would be the perfect touch. Thanks.

7. karooch August 4, 2007 at 10:20 am #

Glad you enjoyed the article Tami. And I agree that it’s not something you would want to do all the time. But it’s a cool idea for special layouts.

8. Pam August 15, 2007 at 10:15 am #

I made my twin daughter’s prom dresses… what a great idea as a background for their prom pics! I’m glad I stumbled onto your tips! Thanks, Pam

9. karooch August 15, 2007 at 10:22 am #

Thanks Pam. I love doing this to create a truly unique and relevant to the event layout.

10. dvana March 15, 2008 at 6:38 am #

If you don’t have a scanner, you could also snap a close-up photograph of the dress fabric with your digital camera. It wouldn’t even matter if it was a teeny bit out of focus. If you’re feeling particularly ambitious, you could even run an artsy photoshop filter on it, if you happen to have that program.

Wonderful idea, really creative.

11. karooch March 15, 2008 at 8:39 pm #

I like that idea dvana. Thanks a lot.

1. Williamstown Antiques & Collectables Fair - July 16, 2007

[…] of a Collectaholic Scrapbooking Tips & Techniques – Personalising your backgrounds The Red Tent Woman Ballarat Antiques Fair St. Patrick’s at the Macedonia Stumble […]