Confessions of a Collectoholic

Hello. My name is Karen and I’m a Collectoholic.

It all started when I was a child, collecting stamps and the labels off wine bottles and anything else that caught my eye. But in recent years it’s progressed to a more serious condition and I’m currently supporting 14 collections of ‘stuff’. I mostly collect stuff from the early to mid 20th century but that’s not a definite boundary.

I thought it might be cathartic to write about some of my collections in this blog. Of course there’s a danger that this might have the reverse effect and encourage me to start even more collections, but that’s a risk I’ll have to take.

So first cab off the rank is Teapots.

I inherited a collection of novelty teapots from my mother (see it’s her fault, not mine). I’ll talk about those in a later post. But as a subset I have a small collection of Victorian and Edwardian porcelain teapots, three of which are pictured below.

teapots.jpg

I really love these old ones. There is such an air of elegance about them. Most teapots from this era came with a matching teapot stand, but typically this is one of the first things that get damaged so many teapots don’t have the stand.

I don’t have a lot of information about them and the makers’ marks are not helpful. I’m particularly curious about the one with the red roses and gorgeous gilt work. It has a mark of crossed anchors (not crossed swords) on the bottom and I’m advised that it’s of European manufacture (late 19thC). But this mark does not appear on any list of porcelain markings that I’ve seen. If anyone knows anything about a crossed anchor mark I’d really appreciate you getting in touch with me.

The tiny one is probably the oldest of the three and the gilt has rubbed off in a number of places. And the greenish coloured teapot is probably Edwardian, around 1910-20.

31 Responses to Confessions of a Collectoholic

1. Tink October 30, 2006 at 12:24 am #

I’d be interested in hearing what you find out about them. I have a set of china which I am looking for replacements but can’t find the maker’s mark online either.

2. Heather November 1, 2006 at 10:27 am #

Your teapots look lovely. I can’t wait to hear what your 13 other collections are!! I do have a soft spot for teapots myself, I bought one (small Chinese looking one) about 20 years ago with the thought of collecting some, but never went any further with it! (short attention span perhaps??)

3. Karen November 6, 2006 at 11:31 am #

Tink, I have a 1930s dinner set made by Burleigh which doesn’t have a name. I found its catalog number at Replacements.com and they advise me on any pieces in my pattern that they come across. Perhaps it may be of help to you.

4. hazasaem November 14, 2006 at 8:04 am #

Thanks for coming over to my blog.
    I love the teapots! I have a collection of cups and saucers (english bone china only, please) that is overflowing my curio cabinet. Both my grandmothers got me collecting those.
    Roses are my favorite. I think your teapots are gorgeous…it makes me think of how lovely a cup of nice tea is.

5. Rae January 27, 2007 at 10:28 am #

Oh My, this looks like the twelve step program I need.

Hi, my name is Rae and I AM a ceramicaholic. It’s ridiculous.

I have limited my collecting to American made pieces, so that helps a little!

I have teapots, dinnerware, white ware & more. I might be able to help some with questions, as I have acquired quite a bit of useless pottery information over the years.

6. Rae January 27, 2007 at 10:29 am #

Oh, I almost forgot, can I see a picture of the mystery mark & the mystery pattern?

7. Karen January 29, 2007 at 7:03 pm #

Thanks Rae. I’m sending you a pic of the mark and if you can identify it I will be very grateful.
    Meanwhile repeat after me, ” I do not need to collect things. I do not need to collect things.”
    Nope, it’s not working for me either.

8. mo March 23, 2007 at 7:59 pm #

Hey Karen,
    With all due respect… but don’t you think you might need to get a little help?
    My brother’s room is totally and fully stuffed with …ehm old stuff and he just doesn’t throw it away.
    This is collectaholism, right? My mother doesn’t know what to do with him…! I’m right now surfing on the net trying to get some help for my brother with his problem. What do you think? Since you can call yourself a collectaholic, could you tell me how collactaholics think?? I hope everything’s okay with you… Well…later byebye! …almost 17year old hopeless girl

9. mo March 23, 2007 at 8:09 pm #

hm… well I surely can’t help my bro but maybe I can help you a little by saying:
    You don’t need to collect things… Try to find some outdoor activities (hm I should do that too) The problem with collecting is that the place you live in gets so full of it that you can hardly breathe and it’s always in the back of your head that you have so many things… It’s so heavy! I feel a lot better everytime I can get rid of something in my room. You bytheway don’t need a lot of furniture because you’ll choke. Just get all the things you need into your place and don’t try to buy too many things extra! I think it’s more healthy to have contact with the right people then to have to communicate with collectors items (lol)
    Hm… I hope the story helped a little… I’m just very concerned about collectors….
    Thanks for reading!
    Byebye! mo…

10. Karen March 25, 2007 at 1:26 pm #

Well I’m not entirely sure where you’re coming from Mo. You seem to be offering me rehabilitation advice,but that assumes I actually want to be rehabilitated. I’m actually quite happy to be a collectaholic but I’ll definitely keep your words in mind if I find it taking over my life.

11. Dave March 26, 2007 at 6:09 am #

Hi Karen,
    we have some china bearing the crossed anchors mark which you describe. We have five cups, six saucers, milk jug, sugar bowl, 1 large plate and about 18 side plates. These were bought for us as a present and ever since we have been trying to find out something about them without success. Yours is the first reference to this mark which we have found.
    I have some photos of the items which I could e-mail to you if you would be interested to see them.
    Best wishes
    Dave & Dot

12. mo March 30, 2007 at 10:47 pm #

Thanks, I didn’t mean to hurt you or anything and I’m not saying you are a total nutcase or anything
    but yeah… I was just warning because I know how stuffed our house was a while ago…
    But I appreciate that you read all of my blablabla’s
    Kind regards and all the best,
    mo

btw: oh my I just read my piece… ?!

13. mo March 30, 2007 at 10:54 pm #

oh and Karen,
    It’s great that you are happy the way you are…
    That’s what most important isn’t it??
    I guess I didn’t think far enough
    btw: I first collected turtles and I like cat-things and small model BMWcars
    So yeah , call me a hypocrite
    It’s just that I don’t have a lot of it :P ( 3 model BMW’s and 3 cat-cards and two cat-figures ehm…)
    Well, gotta go!
    mo

14. Jerry May 6, 2007 at 1:26 am #

I have a white bowl on foot, 7 1/4 inches diameter and 6 3.4″ High

It has a raised pattern of scrolls and flowers around the body, and a simpler pattern on the foot.

All the raised patterns are gilt, as is the body of all the flower heads.

This has the crossed anchors on the base in green.

I have no history, and would like to know more.

Jerry

15. Lynn July 23, 2007 at 8:33 pm #

I too have some pieces with the crossed anchor marks so would be very helpful with replies as I have tried to find some information about them, but so far I have been unsuccessful. They are of the same design as the teapot, ( Blue gilt with roses ) in the picture that was earlier posted.

16. karooch July 24, 2007 at 2:55 pm #

Hi Lynn
    It’s very exciting to hear that someone else has porcelain with this mark. Do you have any photos? I would love to see them if you do.

17. fionaa August 9, 2007 at 1:52 am #

hi
    I have a set of china with crossed green swords and am trying to find out anything I can about them, they were given to me by a lady who’s mother had given it to her so I presume they are quite old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    fiona

18. fionaa August 9, 2007 at 1:53 am #

sorry that last one should have said crossed green anchors not swords

19. Katherine Collins August 9, 2007 at 6:10 pm #

Hi, I have a teapot and sugar bowl white with gold trim and pink roses, on the bottom of both pieces
    are green crossed anchors can you tell me anything about them. The pieces were given to my Mum by her sister in Ireland years and years ago.

20. karooch August 10, 2007 at 12:03 pm #

Hi Fiona and Katherine

I’d love to be able to tell you more about your crossed green anchors but I’m still searching for information myself. A few people have commented here that they have porcelain with this mark on it so I’m hopeful that someone will be able to give me more info some day. Stay tuned.

21. Jakes March 27, 2009 at 2:32 pm #

I’m also a collector of many old stuff, but I find a cure, when you move sell it and just start new at your new place, then you have all the excitment all over.

22. karooch March 27, 2009 at 9:19 pm #

Good theory Jakes but it would never work for me. I love my collections too much to get rid of them.

23. Anne April 5, 2009 at 2:24 pm #

I also have a teaset with these crossed green anchor marks. Has anyone found out any more abou them? Mine were from my grandmother who was Irish and she married in the early 1900s so I suspect they could have been new then.

Would really like to hear of any information.

24. JACQUES May 15, 2009 at 5:02 pm #

Hi

My mom has quite a few old pieces wich she got from her gran,and my mom is already 60 so i presume these things are very old,there is a teapot(set)with R.Grocott on the bottom of it she also has a chinese like tea set the cups are intresting if u hold it up you can see the actual pic or photo of some chinese queen or princess i would like to know if anybody knows
    more about these sets.
    jacques

25. Line August 1, 2010 at 8:22 am #

Hi did anyone have any luck with the green crossed anchor teapot as I have inherited the set and have no idea where to start searching the mark. Does anyone have the book of marks from Amazon? Thanks Line

1. Ballarat Antiques Fair 2007 « Scraps of Mind - March 14, 2007

[…] and varied collections, will know that I’m a bit addicted to ‘old stuff’ (see Confessions of a Collectaholic). So an Antiques Fair makes me feel like a kid in a candy […]

2. Have you backed up your blog? « Scraps of Mind - April 16, 2007

[…] have copies of the posts I’ve written and many of the photos, such as those for my collections, I haven’t kept anywhere […]

3. Artist Trading Cards « Scraps of Mind - May 28, 2007

[…] in that last sentence. Those that have been reading this blog for a while will know what a sucker for collecting stuff I am. And this is too good an opportunity not to combine my love for collecting with my love for […]

4. Williamstown Antiques & Collectables Fair - July 16, 2007

[…] is compulsory for me to buy something at an event such as this, or what’s the point of having all my collections? But as it turned out what I bought had nothing to do with feeding my collecting habit. I picked up […]

5. Random facts about me - July 18, 2007

[…] am a Collectaholic. I’m currently supporting 16 collections, a number of which I’ve written articles about […]

6. Artist Trading Cards — Scraps Of Mind - April 13, 2012