H&K Tunstall – The Delicious Dozen

Well I’m overdue for a post, having joined the rest of the victims of the Christmas Scramble described in my earlier post. So I thought I’d write about my collection of H&K Tunstall porcelain in my ongoing collections category series.

Hollinshead and Kirkham, originally of Burslem in Staffordshire, moved their pottery works to nearby Tunstall in 1890. They catered mainly for the middle class end of the market and, in the main, produced a range of conservatively designed dinner ware. However in the economic slump following the First World War the company needed to do something to address their falling sales. Designer Harold Growcott was their White Knight.

Growcott came up with a range of designs for hand painted porcelain that tapped into the growing interest in all things Art Deco. The designs featured an abstract painted background of two or more colours on which bold fruit or floral designs were hand painted. The result was bold and exciting.

The Delicious Dozen as it came to be known was actually a range of 14 designs, but let’s not be pedantic about a good nickname. The designs were applied to many of the existing pre-war shapes, to give them a new lease of life, as well as some fresh new shapes more in keeping with the Art Deco style.

Due to its similar subject matter and large bold painting style H&K has also been dubbed ‘Poor Man’s Moorcroft’ but if the prices I have had to pay for some of my pieces are anything to go by, that’s not a title that fits today’s collecting market.

hnk-tunstall-2.jpg

I’ve photographed some of my favourite pieces from my collection for your viewing pleasure. The name of the fruit design on the all brown background is Luscious, the square platter is the Autumn design and the little floral jug in the back is the Primula design. I particularly love the platters and the cake slice as I use them for special occasions and it’s a great feeling to actually utilise these old pieces.

The Beauty of Belleek Porcelain
On the Scent – Vintage Perfume Bottles
Confessions of a Collectaholic

171 Responses to H&K Tunstall – The Delicious Dozen

1. quirkybitsnpieces December 14, 2006 at 11:58 pm #

I love these! I’d never heard of them so thank you a million!!! My favorite has to be the platter with the blue in it!! SO bright and bold! Thanks for sharing!

2. Glynis December 20, 2006 at 1:47 pm #

Karen, wow those are gorgeous!! And I love the background stories on things like this…thanks for sharing!

3. Samantha December 27, 2006 at 3:54 pm #

Hi ! I’m having a hard time finding the value of a set of H & K Tunstall Dinnerware that my grandparents left me. It is from the 1933 -1942 era and has gold decoration on the edges with peaches and roses design in the centre, very beautiful. I would appreciate any comments or advice from anyone who may know more. Thanks !

4. Karen December 27, 2006 at 4:03 pm #

Samantha, I would recommend you have a look on eBay. If your pattern is a popular or sought after one that should help you to get a feel of what the market will pay for it. There’s also a site called http://www.replacements.com who specialise in vintage china. You could have a look through their catalog for your pattern and get a feel for the price to replace pieces.

5. ce ibbotson January 19, 2007 at 7:08 am #

We have a H&K square plate with the # 2914 in brown and a small k in blue on the back . the front has a hand painted scene of a stream with cows and various trees and flowers on it .could you please tell me anything about this plate it is approx 10″ across

6. Karen January 21, 2007 at 10:01 pm #

Sorry, I can’t find any info on that number. One thing you might try is doing search on google using the number and the H&K Tunstal name or variations of it (eg Holinshead & Kirkham).

7. Norman Jacobs February 4, 2007 at 5:09 am #

I have a two tier cake stand very brightly decorated in orange blue and green with a yellow surround. Both plates are the same size, approximately 8 inches in diameter. It is marked on the base “Made in England H&K Tunstall” underneath a unicorn rampant facing left in green. Do you have any idea of the fate of manufacture please?

8. Karen February 4, 2007 at 1:53 pm #

Norman it’s a bit hard to give you any info based on your description. I suggest you visit Replacements.com (you’llfind the link in the 5th comment) and have a look at the H&K partterns they have in their catalog. That should help to identify yours.

9. Norman Jacobs February 5, 2007 at 3:01 am #

Thanks Karen. There is nothing on the Replacements.com site like the pattern I have. It is a bit difficult to describe as it is fairly abstract. It is like a bright Claris Cliff type design (although of course it isn’t!). It has two bright orange flowers in the centre; above are two small green leaves. There is a green leaf just below centre and two more towards the right and left bottom. There is also a blue (flower?) in a semi-circular shape on the bottom left and a small straight blue-type stem towards the bottom right. The whole design has a yellow border surround.

10. Karen February 5, 2007 at 6:54 am #

Can you email me a picture Norman? It sounds like it might be one of the Delicious Dozen and I have pictures of many of them. I might be able to name it for you.

11. john soame February 9, 2007 at 6:59 am #

Can you tell me if you know of any literiture or books on hollinshead and kirkham,Was there anything ever printed about the company,I would very much apreciate an email from you thankyou.
    John.

12. André February 25, 2007 at 9:33 pm #

How exciting to see that someone else has managed to find some of these tunstall items. . . I have been collecting the “Autumn” series for nigh on 30 years. . and have only managed to find 6 peices… so, I am ogling your platter with much coveting!! AND I am so glad that you, like myself, actually use these items. . . I use my things daily. Have fun with them. Greetings from Vienna.

13. Deborah March 22, 2007 at 10:20 am #

I admire your collection, Im in the USA, I have a beautiful H&K Tunstall Viola Jug with the “Electa” lightning bolt handle in absolutely beautiful condition, just a bit of crazing from the age of it, it has the cobalt blue and purple viola on it, the jug has Grocott and the unicorn stamp on it. I have yet to ever see another one exactly like it in this pattern.Have you ever seen one in your travels? The jug has the same brown and tan backgrounds as the ones in your picture.You have a lovely collection, thanks for sharing.

14. Karen March 22, 2007 at 12:18 pm #

Deborah have you tried searching on ebay? It’s amazing the items that are listed on there. especially collectables. I find it makes a really good ‘catalogue’ of the market place

15. wendy March 28, 2007 at 4:41 am #

I am trying to find out as much as possible about H&K Tunstall pottery. You mentioned that there were 14 patterns (not 12) that were done in the Art Deco style. Do you know of a reference book that would list these patterns? I have four pieces and cannot find anything on Ebay or the Internet. I do know Autumn, Autumn Tints, Luscious, and Viola. Thanks for your help.

16. Karen March 28, 2007 at 7:40 am #

Wendy I don’t know of any H&K book. I have been compiling my own ‘catalog’ of the DD patterns. If you send me some pictures I’ll try to identify them for you.

17. Susan B. April 1, 2007 at 11:47 pm #

Hi Karen,
    I love that I GOOGLED “H&K Grocott” and found your post first on the list!
    My husband & I have 8 pieces of H&K in the Art Deco patterns (mainly AUTUMN) and love it for it’s cobalt blue shocks running through the pattern.
    I was wondering where you found your information on the pieces? We were antiquing today and went into a shop, here in Perth (North Fremantle) Western Australia, where they had the most pieces all in one place we have seen. I noticed that the prices they had on the pieces that are marked “R.Grocott” are higher; would you know why? (The lady at the shop was no help at all.)
    Also you mentioned HAROLD GROWCOTT… is he R.Grocott? Why the spelling difference and the different first initial?
    Sorry to be wild to know the answers but this stuff is intriguing today! We appreciate any info so much.
    Cheers from Australia!! :-)

18. Susan B. April 1, 2007 at 11:54 pm #

Whoops!!
    I was just browsing your other posts and think that you live in Victoria (Melbourne area) and I was assuming you were in America.
    Sorry!!
    Cheers from WESTERN Australia then!
    ;-)

19. Karen April 2, 2007 at 11:04 pm #

Hi Susan
    I haven’t come across a definitive H&K book but I read articles in Antiques magazines and get my info that way. One of my collections is the Carters Antiques magazine. It’s been in publication since 1980 and I keep an eye out for back issues to fill in the gaps in my collection. Given the subject matter, it doesn’t really matter how old the magazine is, the facts will still be good.

Onto your question about Harold Growcott. He joined the firm in the early 1920s and designed the lithograph prints for the range. The earliest pieces (Primula design) being released around 1924. Harold Growcott’s facsimile signature appeared on the base of these early pieces, together with the Unicorn backstamp.

I believe R Grocott was a senior ceramic artist with the pottery in the 1930s. His work carries his facsimile signature as it was trendy by then to do this (a la Clarice Cliff) and create a ‘designer’ item to appeal to the middle classes.

20. Dale Simon April 8, 2007 at 3:19 am #

Hi, Found your website in a search for Tunstall luscious. My mom had a set of dinner plates and cups and saucers which my sister has now. Mom actually ordered the square luncheon plates in Canada on her Honeymoon in 1941. When they arrived she opened the boxes to find large round dinner plates. She never sent them back and my sister and I grew up appreciating the pieces in mom’s Breakfront. My sister has been buying some pieces when she can find them and I have found 1luncheon plate at an estate sale. It looks mighty lonely all by itself . Will keep on looking.

21. Karen April 10, 2007 at 8:59 am #

Hi Dale
    How fabulous that you have an entire dinner set in Luscious. Well worth the hunt to find more pieces. Good Luck!

22. Mandy May 26, 2007 at 8:57 am #

So interested to hear about the names of the H&K pottery, I love the jug in the photo and particularly want a jug of the primula design however I was told I had the Poppies design. Thanks you for the information anyway.

23. camille May 27, 2007 at 11:35 am #

I have a plate titled lady Jane by H&K Tunstall, do you know anything about this plate by chance?

24. Karen May 27, 2007 at 2:30 pm #

Mandy, I don’t know of a Poppies design in the range. But I’ve only managed to track down 11 of the 14 designs. So maybe Poppies is one of the remaining 3. I’d love to see a photo of it if you could email me one.

Camille The other designs by H&K are not as avidly sought after by collectors as the Delicious Dozen. I believe Lady Jane is one of their dinnerware range. Try Replacements.com (link in a comment above) to see what prices and availability is like for that patters. eBay is another good source of market info.

25. Brendan Potter May 30, 2007 at 8:55 pm #

Hi.
    I have acquired a large piece with the marking on the base. “Handpainted Tuliptime H&K Tunstall”. With a logo that looks like a lion and what I think is W547 written in green.
    The best description I can give is a bowl with handles at each end. art deco in style with tulips painted on a multicoloured background, mainly browns. 15inches long and 6 inches wide and standing about 5 inches. Have you any idea where I could find out more about it.
    Brendan

26. John Shore July 18, 2007 at 4:19 pm #

Im sending from Melbourne Australia. We collect H&K pattern No 4901 and have 25 varying
    pieces including jugs, vases,plates & bowls .
    The jug in your photo looks like pattern 4901 ( refer stamp on bottom) and if so it’s known
    as Anemone.
    We have sourced items world wide UK , Australia, New Zealand , South Africa
    & canada

27. Charlene August 30, 2007 at 12:55 am #

Have a H & K Tunstall square cake platter about 9 or 10 ” with 6 smaller cake plates that are not as square. the plates are an off white colour and the pattern is a somewhat floral with tulips and a 4 petalled orange/red flower. Colors in the pattern include green, yellow,black orange, grey, and beige. Have no idea what the pattern is – it does not cover the entire plate so not very bold. The set was my grandmothers so is at least 50 years old. I am from Canada

28. Brian Batchelor October 31, 2007 at 2:43 pm #

Not sure who or where I am writing this to but in New Plymouth, N.Z. I have been collecting H & K china which does not seem to fit the items described above. Mine is souvenir ware of N Z in pink, with black transfer printed pictures and writing showing scenes from this area. So far I have never seen any of this china for other areas of N Z and I understand that it was produced for a Mr Squires, of New Plymouth, who had a shop in town. There are only 4 scenes but the are on many shapes of vase, dishes, plates etc. I would like to hear from anyone with information that could help me verify my conclusions. My e-mail address is bdbatch@clear.net.nz.
    Thanks, Brian

29. Jaime Ford December 31, 2007 at 10:57 am #

Hi I have a really nice dish H&K Tunstall signed R.Grocott looks like 689 or 629 with a L under the #s . The #s are painted in green and the autograph. A flower on the front. Do you know anything about this dish
    thanks Jaime

30. Connie Paxman February 5, 2008 at 6:08 am #

Love your ditty on H & K Tunstall by George Groscott, I just landed from a friend a Vase called Autumn Tints…Matches your collection.
    connie p

31. Rich Landon February 8, 2008 at 5:18 am #

Hi,

I have had a Jug / Pitcher, that has been on my kitchen shelf for approximately 10 years now, it was given to me by my brother in law one year, as it had been sitting in his loft, gathering dust for years (he has no idea how long it was there, only that it belonged to his late mother)

I just love the design, but it is nothing like any you describe here, The shape is a typical pitcher shape with a long pouring edge, it is 8½ inches tall at the lip of the jug. The handle runs down the full length of the back of the jug and is rectangular in shape but forming an arch down the jug.

It is a mottled yellow for the main part of the body colour and there is a V coming down from the pouring side painted with yellow and white arched stripes and a black and orange patterning, Also there is orange patterning down the handle.

The black and orange patterning is very plain and looks hand painted and the inside of the pourer is painted in the bold orange as well, but not finished on a perfect line, you can see the brushstrokes etc.

It has the H & K stamp on the bottom, and also an indented ‘TRENT’ stamp, the odd bitis that it is also personally written on under the glaze saying ‘To Aunt Mary from Eva’

I have often wondered where H & K Pottery was in Tunstall as I am from near to there myself, in the Potteries.

Can anyone help me find anything out about this Jug or the pottery firm itself?

Thanks
    Rich

32. Bryan Naude March 25, 2008 at 6:52 am #

Hi

I was excited to see your picture as my wife has a cake serving plate and eight side plates done in the luscious design. They bear the H&K stamp on the back and are signed by one R Grocott as well.
    Are these rare? Are they worth insuring at all? I would love to hear any ideas you have.

Thanks a million.

Bryan

33. Kirsten Guthrie May 22, 2008 at 2:42 am #

I have a cup and sauce and saucer without any damage in the Autumn pattern 3, Tunstall Burslem stoke on trent H & K, with lion print (1933-1942) , that I would like to sell – i guess to someone trying to get a set together!!

Looks like peaches and grapes.

If you want to get in touch you can do so from my website. I am based in portsmouth uk.

Regards,
    Kirsten

34. william horner June 16, 2008 at 5:53 pm #

hi
    I have 2 H&K dishes with lids ,they are hexagonal in shape ,about 210mm across the top.They have purple/blue flowers on the design.The base is stamped in blue ,one with MADE IN ENGLAND above a unicorn withH&K Tunstall below it,the other is similar but with QUEBEC above the unicorn instead of made in england.They both have the mark (in blue)A 1115.I have looked at replacements .com and they look similar to pattern 2047.Have you any idea of age /value,both items are in perfect condition,

Bill

35. jackie wilshaw July 14, 2008 at 6:49 pm #

Hi
    I am so glad I found this website as I have been trying to find out about a plate that I have found, It is Hand painted Tuliptime and a lion crest on the back and the no 683A, It has amixed brown and pink/red background and a bunch of yellow and pink tulips. I can find no infomation even though i live in the next village to Tunstall, stoke-on-trent. Can anyone help please.
    Thanks Jackie

36. nanny October 10, 2008 at 8:26 am #

I have a two-tier canape plate by H & K Tunstall.
    Its design is very unique yellow, light green, dark green and red burgandy.
    It is two tiers, and has the Standing Unicorn on the back with the Made in England and H & K
    Tunstall and a capital letter B It also has the number 744 and f.
    The upper plate has the same but with the number 744 and it has a gold brush stroke something like a letter v.
    Could you reply to my inquiry?

37. karooch October 10, 2008 at 2:16 pm #

Hi Nanny. You haven’t actually told me what your query is.
    I collect examples from the Delicious Dozen only. And I know very little about H&K’s other designs.

38. Sherry Cline October 15, 2008 at 7:11 am #

Handed down from my mother I have : Exquisite colors ofmauves,browns,golfs in background, purple & yellow in flowers. Early. pre/no unicorn stamp. Printed on the bottom: Handpainted, “Iris”, Made in England, H & K Turnstall.” Also, signed, “R. Grocott, and handpainted “W 169″.

It is simply beautiful. Do you have any info on this “Iris” series. Plus, what is the list of all 14 of this design. And any more on Grocott?

I just stumbled on your sight and you have so much more info than anywhere else. Thank you.

39. Sherry Cline October 15, 2008 at 7:14 am #

Sorry for the miss typing on my comments to you. Also, I did not check the box for being contacted via email for anyone who chooses to do so. May I add this to my comments.

40. karooch October 18, 2008 at 10:44 am #

Hi Sherry

Sorry I don’t have much extra info to give you.
    I don’t know all the patterns in the range but they include Luscious, Autumn, Iris, Tuliptime, Viola, Anemone, Panola, Primula, Lucia.
    There doesn’t seem to be much info around about them. but they come in a wide range of decorator pieces and shapes.

41. janet mccoy October 26, 2008 at 8:16 pm #

Hi, I have just found a small milk/cream jug with this design and unicorn facing left, only with the number 4901 and looks like the letter L as signature. Any more information would be welcome

42. Marisa Horn November 3, 2008 at 4:51 pm #

Hi there,

I have an antiques piece of H & K Tunstall which was left to my mother by her grandmother or mother and she left it to me. I would like to establish the date, the era(series) and the value of the piece, but I’m not sure how to do this. It’s a rectangular serving/meat dish with a red backgroung and some type of bird might be a Blue Crane or Swan-like design handpainted onto the red background. The size of the plate is more or less 298mm X 215mm.

43. karooch November 4, 2008 at 8:05 am #

Unfortunately i can’t really help you Marisa. I don’t know of any reference guide on H&K Tunstall. All I can suggest is that you check out ebay to see what’s on offer there. You can pick up a lot of info that way. And also the catalog on http://www.replacements.com where you might see your pattern and get some idea about its name and age.

44. stephen pickering November 23, 2008 at 2:21 pm #

Hi,
    I’ve about 200 pieces of H & K in all , spent 2 days in potteries library tracing history in old ” Pottery Magazine” books , they used to sell all over the world but mainly Austrialia,Canada and a few of the of the other Common Wealth Countries ,they also had a shop in Bond St London , but it got bombed , most of the pattern books were lost in fire . The Potteries Musieum has a few very early pieces in there collection . Only thing I’ve not got is teapot for complete set .
    Regards Steve Pickering

45. karooch November 24, 2008 at 6:18 am #

Wow, it sounds like you’ve got more on H&K that anyone else I’ve ever come across Stephen. Is there a link where people can find you?

46. Brian Batchelor November 26, 2008 at 2:13 pm #

Stephen Pickering:- I have sent you an e-mail (I think) asking if in your searching at museums’, etc. you had come across any reference to my particular speciality – souvenir china of New Zealand. I am interested in pictorial pieces relating to New Plymouth, which I think are unique to this area and were made by H & K , Tunstall. Any information would be appreciated.
    Brian Batchelor

47. Colin long December 20, 2008 at 3:24 pm #

I am currently putting a book together of H&K like Stephen I have well over 400 pieces. I have only ever seen 2 Tea Pot I have one any my sister has an Autumn One. Other items which are rare are Lamps, and biscut barrels. I hope to have the book out sometime next year so if your interested please keep in touch. The Book will cover the 14 or so designs simular to the picture above.
    I can be contacted on colinlong@talk21.com
    Regards Colin

48. karooch December 21, 2008 at 12:42 pm #

Hey that sounds great Colin. Let me know when the book comes out and I’ll tell folks about it.

49. Connie Paxman December 21, 2008 at 12:55 pm #

Beautiful pieces…I have only one peice of this collection..a Hand painted vase in the brown tones called ” Autumn Tints “.
    connie paxman

50. Julie K. December 27, 2008 at 5:48 am #

Greetings! I own a lovely 6″ H and K Tuliptime vase. It has a “lightening style” reddish art deco handle and two different designs of tulips on either side. It has a pouring spout and the traditional H and K stroke painting style in browns, yellows, and reds.

I purchased it at a local antique store about fifteen years ago just because it caught eye with its combination of traditional feel and art deco look. I have searched eBay and Replacements, and have found nothing! Does anyone know its history and value?

Thanks!

51. Ethne Abramowitz January 20, 2009 at 10:34 pm #

I inherited part of an H&K Tunstall “Autumn” tea set: pot, creamer, have only 5 cups but six saucers. The cups and saucers are small. It is beautiful!

52. karooch January 21, 2009 at 7:58 pm #

How fabulous to have a whole tea set Ethne. Even though you are missing a cup, that just adds to the fun of the chase in tracking down a replacement. And even more special that it’s been handed down to you in the family.

53. Linda Thorpe January 24, 2009 at 3:06 am #

My friend has a set of two pottery candlesticks and a small jar, mainly light brown, all three bearing a painted desert scene with palm trees. They say H & K Tunstall on the bottom, but no date. Does anyone know what decade such things were made and what their value might be?

54. brian January 25, 2009 at 2:40 am #

Hi, I have just 9 pieces of h&k. One is impressed COMO; any ideas as to its meaning. By far my nicest piece is a vase, handpainted & marked PANOLA design, but theyre all nice!! I too have travelled to oz,nz & usa to find them; they surely must be worth a fortune in expenses alone!!!!!???? Brian.

brians last blog post..Hello, and Welcome to Scraps of Mind

55. Cheryl March 9, 2009 at 12:27 pm #

I have a candy dish of the Delicious 14 group – looks almost identical to the pattern Gaiety which you don’t mention but is visible for viewing on the Replacement website. However the colours of the flowers are brighter, one red/with purple inner petals, and one yellow with red inner petals. the blue behind the flowers is like Gaiety,but the overall backgound is more yellow/gold brush strokes with a splash of lavendar on one side and or a rose color on the other. The leaf on the opposite side is identical to Gaiety. The marks on the back all match what others describe with Grocott isgnature in gold. The number of the pattern is 145 and then under the 5 there is another little mark of the same ink and size and style that could be a 7 or an A or an L. I would love to know more about this pattern, what it is, and are there more dishes, objects with the design – it is, and the Delicious group are, beautiful. I live near Brisbane Australia if anyone in AUstralia or elsewhere is interested in contacting me, I can respond after hearing back thru this blog site. I lived in Canada and the USA too.
    How exciting to find you thru a google search! Well done.

56. karooch March 9, 2009 at 8:00 pm #

Hi Cheryl, Yep Gaiety is one of the Delicious Dozen too. I don’t have any details on what the flowers in the actual pattern are, I’m afraid but it certainly is available in several objects and shapes. I have always found ebay a great way to compile a personal catalog of Tunstall patterns and shapes. And it’s also a hand way to get a view on current market prices. I live in Melbourne and most of my more interesting pieces have come from overseas through ebay because I find prices in Australia tend to be higher.

57. Hannah, in Indiana, USA March 13, 2009 at 2:00 am #

Thoroughly enjoyed reading all the comments.
    I have a luncheon plate in the Autumn pattern. My mom, in Maine, USA, had just the one piece and gave it to me many years ago. I eat my lunch on it regularly!

58. karooch March 13, 2009 at 7:22 am #

Hi Hannah.

I agree that beautiful things are meant to be used. Ssmetimes they will break and that’s sad. But to shut them up and not use them is even sadder

59. Alf April 12, 2009 at 11:25 pm #

Hi, I have just read all the post, and im hoping some angel will answer my question. I have just been given a small teacup smaller than average and saucer. On the bottom of both of them it has written in green “Made in England H&K Tunstall B” They both also have a a small grey unicorn. The teacup also has the letter S in grey on it. Both pieces are in a sort of medium dark cream, with a very detailed golden floral pattern on the teacup. The teacup also has four flowers on the tea cup. On one side they are much bigger than the other. The flowers are yellow and purple on the larger side and purple and orange on the smaller side. They both also have green leafs, The smaller flowers have more green. The inside of the the teacup along with the handle has a golden lining. The saucer has golden lining edge followed by the same floral patteren as the saucer. this is followed by a picture of a grand lady in the centre of the saucer. a house and a tree can be seen in the background, the lady iS wearing a magnificent dress in the same colours as the flowers on the teacup.
    if anyone has any ideas of which collection this belongs to and as to how much its worth, your help will be greatly appreciated.
    THANKYOU
    ALF
    affy81@hotmail.co.uk

60. Miriam Wallace April 26, 2009 at 9:30 pm #

I have a 10.5″ H & K Tunstall Autumn Vase which was given to me by my Mother-in-Law. It had belonged to her Mother. Until recently I had no idea it was worth much at all, and, still don’t know how much it is worth today. I think it is very pretty and I use it daily.
    Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Miriam

61. karooch April 26, 2009 at 9:58 pm #

Hi Miriam

I find that the best way to get an idea of the real market value of an item is to check on what similar items sell for on eBay.

62. Diane April 28, 2009 at 8:08 am #

Hi

I stumbled across this website and was amazed that so many people, besides me, collect H&K. I have about 15 peices but have stopped now because of rising prices, especially in Australia. I have bought pieces from Ebay which is much more economical. My brother and mother also collect it because we have a family connection. My mother came from the ‘potteries’ area of the UK and her uncle worked in the H&K factory. The family story is that he designed some of the patterns but we have never found a piece with his name on it except for ones handed down within the family. Mum brought a small collection to Australia with her in 1955 and has added to it since. She said her parents got a tea chest full as a wedding present in 1929 but most of it ended up smashed.

• karooch April 28, 2009 at 8:36 am #

HI Diane. What a great story. No wonder you collect H&K with a family connection like that. Isn’t it heartbreaking to know that there were so many more pieces that almost made it into your hands. I feel that way when I think about the things that my Mum used to have that were left behind when we came to Austrailia because we wanted to start with ‘new stuff’.

63. Brian Batchelor April 30, 2009 at 8:15 am #

Hi Dianne,
    I don’t suppose that your mother or her uncle ever came across pieces of souvenir china, made by H & K, with scenes of N Z. I collect such pieces and they seem to be unique to New Plymouth, where I live. I have only found about four scenes on items such as jugs, vases, bowls and cups and saucers, all dating from the early 1900’s.
    I would very much like to find out more about the manufacture of these items. my e-mail address is ‘bdbatch@clear.net.nz’ if you can help
    Brian

64. Diane April 30, 2009 at 8:39 pm #

Hi Brian – no I have never heard of H&K with NZ scenes on them and I am sure my family wouldn’t either. The only scenes I have seen are of deserts with pyramids and camels. My Uncle died many years ago but some of his closer relatives may know of some. I will make some enquiries.

Diane

65. Charles Marion May 8, 2009 at 12:25 am #

nice collection…..I now have over 200 pieces myself!…..the antique shop I own was a general store…..It carried the H & K line in the 1930’s….so we started to collect it!

• karooch May 8, 2009 at 9:57 am #

Wow 200 pieces!
      It’s great that you chose H&K out of the other lines in your antique store to collect Charles. I bet it makes a sensational display.

66. Alun Gunter May 9, 2009 at 9:03 am #

I have read the many posts with great interest.
    I have a multi coloured jug just under 9 inches tall.
    Underneath the jug has the following information:
    Lions body?
    Made in England
    H&K Tungtall
    Capital letter B
    Number 779
    I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some information about the jug, for example how old it is.
    I would also like to know the approximate market value of the jug.
    Your help would be very much appreciated.
    Kind regards.
    Alun Gunter

• karooch May 9, 2009 at 10:14 am #

Alun what is the pattern of the jug? Is it one of the Delicious Dozen? If it is then you might try researching on ebay to get an idea of its current market value. And if it’s not a DD one then perhaps you should check on Replacements.com to see what sort of prices that pattern might fetch.

• karooch May 9, 2009 at 10:14 am #

67. Alun Gunter May 9, 2009 at 5:41 pm #

Hi Karooch
    I have done a little research and I don’t think it is one of the “DELICIOUS DOZEN”.
    I cannot find the jug on ebay or on any other website.
    I have checked on replacements.com and there is no report of jug 779 or anything that resembles it.
    I suspect that the jug could be part of a two piece, a water bowl to partner the jug maybe?
    But……I have no proof of this, I am guessing.
    My wife received the jug as a keep sake about 17 years ago.
    I must correct the spelling it should read “TUNSTALL” and not “TUNGTALL”.
    The jug is multi-coloured, yellow,violet,green and blue.
    Inside the jug is coloured a yellowy cream.
    The rim and handle of the jug are covered in gold like colour.

• vicki May 8, 2014 at 12:50 am #

I think I have this jug too..did you ever find out anything about it? It’s almost sponged effect with multi colour right

68. sue white May 16, 2009 at 4:37 am #

Hi,I have a bowl about 6-8inches round, decorated with gold coloured flowers and in the centre of the bowl is a romany caravan with a lady stood in the door way, arms folded. Two children sat playing on ground one holding a guitar? to the back of the caravan are two horses one being ridden and the other being held by it’s owner. Background there are trees and foliage. colours mainly red greens and browns. on the underneath of bowl it has the markings of a Unicorn with ROMANY above and below unicorn it says made in England H&K TUNSTALL. there are also two markings in gold they either look like s 9 or s 6. Any information and value would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Su

• karooch May 17, 2009 at 11:51 am #

H&K made many transfer ware patterns and your Romany sounds like one of them Sue. I have no idea of it’s value, but I would suggest you search on ebay or replacements.com under the design name to get an idea if it is sought in the market and wat buyers are paying for that design.

69. sara bernhart May 19, 2009 at 10:17 am #

i have a mug..stamped on the bottom says..made in england h&k tunstallwith a unicorn on the bottom..the mug is a foppish chubby gentalman with fat knees and seems to be holden a jug/cup of grog

• karooch May 19, 2009 at 2:55 pm #

Sounds like a Toby Jug Sara. How interesting. I didn’t realise that H&K made tobies as well.

70. Charles Marion May 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm #

Hi, replacement china shops dont usually carry H & K tunstall items….Thers ie no book on H&K as of yet….ebay bidder cybr-medic from the UK has over 800 pieces and he will be writing a book/price guide in the near future…otherwise there are a few experts on this subject out there…..Im going to start a blog on something I know nothing about

71. Robin Venn May 28, 2009 at 3:15 am #

Hi Fascinating to find this website. I have just found that I have a dish and 10 plates of the Midas pattern. I am not sure what to do with them?

Robin Venn (UK)

72. barbara July 1, 2009 at 8:46 am #

I have a very old blue and white soup bowel.
    around the edge is a pattern of blue bells repeated on the inside base .
    on the back is the name ALBERT enclosed in a oval with blue patten around it
    under the oval is the mark H&K.
    COULD ANY ONE GIVE ME AN IDEA HOW OLD IT MAY BE .THANK YOU Barbara

73. heather July 2, 2009 at 4:54 am #

Hi I have a candy dish that seems to fit the Delicious Dozen. It is called autumn, it’s numbered and was made by H & K Tunstall.
    Any ideas as to age and value?

74. Helen July 3, 2009 at 4:23 pm #

Hi
    I have a lovely 6″ tall tuliptime vase, with tulips in yellow and burgandy, green leaves and a beautiful tan glaze backgrond with touches of white and light putrple. It has a black rim. It says on the base “Handpainted TULIPTIME – MADE IN ENGLAND- H & K TUNSTALL” with two sets of numbers..683 & what looks like either 17 or 11. It has two undeglaze chips. I can’t find anything on the net about it and wondered if you could tell me if it’s common or a bit more special, and also what it might be worth please. When I check the H&K trademark site it says those marks refer to 1896 – 1900 manufacture.
    Thankyou
    Helen

75. karooch July 4, 2009 at 4:42 pm #

Hi Helen

Tuliptime was one of the Delicious Dozen and I’m afraid I don’t know much more that in in the article. They were produced during the years between the two World Wars in response to the public interest in Art Deco products. They mostly used molds that they had from previous product runs and employed a team of painters to hand paint the designs on them.

If you want to see more examples of Tuliptime I suggest you monitor ebay as they pop up there from time to time. Just set up a search on H&K Tunstall and you will be sure to find some Tuliptime pieces in the mix. Tuliptime doesn’t seem to have been as popular a design as some of the others such as Luscious and Autums so there may not be as many pieces for sale. This will also give you a bit of a feel for the market price.

76. karooch July 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm #

The Delicious Dozen were mostly produced in the years between the two World Wars Heather. For the best indication of current market values I suggest you do a search on ebay for H&K Tunstall and see what the recent examples of your pattern sold for.

77. MAL July 21, 2009 at 4:54 am #

HI I HOPE YOU CAN HELP I HAVE A DISH 12X10 BY H+K TUNSTALL IT HAS A 9913 NUMBER ON THE BOTTOM AND A BLACK L. THE DESIGN IS VERY UNUSUAL ITS A DESERT SCENE WITH ARABS ON CAMELS BUT WHAT STANDS OUT MORE IS A BLACK AND WHITE CHEQUERED LINE RUNNING THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THE DISH . ANY COMMENTS WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED. MAL

• karooch July 21, 2009 at 8:09 am #

That does sound like a very striking dish Mal. I have never heard of a pattern like this in H&K. I’m afraid i can’t help you with it. But this article gets a lot of readers so hopefully someone will know something about it.

78. Diane July 21, 2009 at 5:45 pm #

Hi Mal – I have seen this pattern with the checkerboard band and the camels several times but I don’t know what it is called. I have seen it on a tall squarish vase and also on a teapot. Sorry I can’t be of further help, Diane

79. Jack July 21, 2009 at 9:17 pm #

I have a H & K tuliptime patterned fruit bowl about 15″ long including the handles. The logo dates it at between 1935 and 1942 as it is the printed pattern from those years. It also has the hand written number 683 and the letter H. It has been in my family from new and is in perfect condition. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

80. karooch July 22, 2009 at 8:21 am #

Hi Jack. Pretty much all I know about the Delicious Dozen is contained in the article above. If you’re looking for market price I suggest you check ebay and search in recently sold H&kK Tunstall. That will give you an idea of what people are actually paying for it.

Someone in the commenter list said that he was going to write a book on H&K. I don’t know if that has happened yet.

81. Ann July 27, 2009 at 12:55 pm #

Hi Mal, just read about your dish. I have a 10 and half inch high hexagonal shaped vase depicting the desert scene with palm trees, camel riding Arabs and pyramids in the background. Sandy gold colour at bottom rising to deep cobalt blue at the rim. The black & white chequered pattern runs around each of the six edges near the top. I have no idea what this pattern is called unfortunately but it is marked underneath in gold writing – made in England, unicorn symbol, H&K Tunstall- then a painted number in black, 8923 or could be 9923. I believe this mark indicates that is was made between 1933-1944. If anyone can help us to identify the pattern it would be great.

82. Mandy July 29, 2009 at 4:48 am #

I have just been given a box of china and pottery and in it was a jug approx 7in tall with h&k tunstall stamped on the bottom underneath a unicorn with the number 356T in gold. The jug is white and decorated with peaches and plums. Can you give a little more info on this please

83. Helen August 30, 2009 at 3:35 am #

84. Helen August 30, 2009 at 3:41 am #

I HAVE A BOWL MARKED H&K TUNSTALL MADE IN ENGLAND NO: NO:4899 8 WHAT IS THE VALUE?? AUTUMN

85. Glenda September 2, 2009 at 3:02 pm #

I love your site. I am a lover of the Delicious pottery of H&K Tunstall. These objects are collectable art. People must understand that in marking a value you must consider a few different things. The condition is of the upmost importance. There should be no chips, cracks, repairs, or crazing. Different people like different designs. Some love them all. The is also a rarity of the item. Demi cups and saucers may be seen more frequent while some vases are deemed more collectable and valuable. Cherish your treasures.

86. karooch September 2, 2009 at 3:16 pm #

You have some excellent points there Glenda.

Ultimately the market value of a piece is what someone is prepared to pay for it. So the market value of vintage and antique items will fluctuate depending on the prevailing market. Typically, when we are living in affluent times then more people have ‘spare’ funds to buy things they want but don’t necessarily need. And as a result the market price for many items may go up. In less affluent times the reverse may happen. That’s why I tend to use ebay as my market thermometer.

And rarity and condition are major factors in price as well.

I certainly agree with you that the best value you can get from your treasures is to love them and enjoy them.

87. Jean September 13, 2009 at 4:48 am #

I have a pitcher marked H&K Tunstall with the pattern name “Primula”. There is also a number on the bottom “63 & another number that isn’t readable with the naked eye” & an “s” under it.
    It is beautiful & I won’t part with it. Is anyone able to give me any idea if I should insure it separately? It is in perfect shape.

88. J BOUMA September 25, 2009 at 10:06 am #

I HAVE AN H&K AUTUMN PLATE THAT IS IN PERFECT CONDITION. WOULD ANYONE KNOW IT’S WORTH AND HOW OR WHERE TO SELL IT. WAS BOUGHT IN GALVESTON, TEXAS I WOULD SAY IN THE LATE 30’S. IT’S NUMBERED AS 4044 OR 49 IN GREEN PAINT.

89. marlys tilley October 20, 2009 at 4:17 am #

I have a 5&3/8th inch bread an butter plate with the gold unicorn and Made in England H&K Tunstall
    on the back. No in black is 2482(I believe) I love this plate and have never seen anything else like it in the ten years that I’ve had it.
    the pattern must come from the same time period as the camel scene pieces described in a couple of the comments I’ve just read on this site.
    The plate is very dark brown on bottom edge fading to liter tan, then exactly at the halfway point on the plate is a band running right across the plate with a repeated picture of a stagecoach, drawn by 4 horses, and a large tutor(?) style thached roof three story house.My plate is wide enough that the stage appears twice, but the house only once. This picture band is 7/8th inch in debth, and then there is the black and white chequered band running across the plate exactly above the picture, and then the whole top third of the plate is a very dark cobalt (?) or navy blue.
    I’m really not collecting things anymore, but if anything got me back into it I think it would be pieces in this pattern.
    Marlys tilley Oct 19, 2009

90. ed woods November 2, 2009 at 3:22 am #

A definitive book on H&K is long overdue! Many Canadian collectors like us would love to be able to have a volume to consult; not so much for prices, as they can wander a bit, but more for pattern details and such. It’s my impression prices are creeping up a bit, just from recent browsing. Paid 175.00 Canadian for a nice pair of 4.5 in. pear-shaped blue-handled vases in the Autumn pattern; the dealer wasn’t dealing, so I probably paid too much. But they’re clean, and we love them.
    Collectors here in SW Ontario can find good pieces at the Stratford, Ontario, Antiques Market; the market in Tilbury, just down the 401, is also good. Happy browsing, everyone!

91. Matt November 18, 2009 at 12:59 pm #

Hi, i recently got a brilliant piece, its 11 cm tall and the marking on the base say ‘4901 L’, any help would be greatly appreciated.

92. Matt November 18, 2009 at 1:01 pm #

says ‘4901 L’ on the base. Help??

93. Heather December 20, 2009 at 6:30 am #

I have three matching pieces No 4901 A. I believe
    they are the anenome design. Two vases stand about
    7 inches high and the other is 11″x6″x5″ with
    handles on both ends . Can anyone give me any information on these as to age and value?

94. Mrs. S. Bedford December 28, 2009 at 1:59 am #

I have a 3-tier cromium plated cake stand with 3 plates, cream background and a lady wearing a crinoline dress carrying white fur muff and wearing a hat, along with a gentleman in blue coat and green top hat. They are approaching a door which has a lantern above it. This item belonged to my Mother and dates back to 1930’s. I am interested to know more about it.On the back of the plates it says H & K Tunstall below a unicorn.

95. Mr P Kroon January 6, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

I have a bowl stamped H & K Tunstall England with the numbers and letter 4901A on it. It is in the same pattern as the delicious dozen. Can you advise a date and value of this item?

96. colin Long January 17, 2010 at 4:40 am #

Dear All H&K Fans

Its been a year ago I left a post saying I was putting a book together regarding Hollinshead & Kirkham (H&K Tunstall) as some of you know it.

Its been a long road and reaserching the history has taken some time as well as getting the photos ready. Just waiting for a few other peices to fall into place and we will be there.

I have quite an extensive collection 900 plus items and know a few other collectors with some quite rare items but I would like to give any of you the opportunity to send me any photos you may have of items you think I could include in the boot.

Patterns to be included are
    Autumn, Viola, Anenome, Luscious, Gaiety, Fantasy, Lonsdale, Panola, Avalon, Springtime, Pansy, Glendale, Tuliptime, Rose, Autumn Tints Tulip, Iris and one other which I do’t know the name of but is a dark blue normaly with a yellow flower and sometimes has a patterned rim.

Items I am looking for, Tea/Coffee Pots, Butter/Cheese Dishes, Ginger Jars, Large Tigs (Taller that 6 inches) Covered Preserve Pots (with & Without attached under Trays) Bon Bon Dishes, Lamps, Wall Pockets, as you can see quite a list. I have a number of these items suggested but feel sure there are more out there which I do not have.

Please feel free to suggest any item, I am also happy to buy items should some of you wish to sell, I also have a number of items which are doubles as I have bought some complete collections to make up my own.

Well I think I have gone on enought and hope I have wetted your appetite. For anyone wanting some idea of the value of any item please do get in touch with a photo and description and I will give you some idea of its value.

Please email me with any photos, questions etc on colinlong@talk21.com and I will be happy to help as I can.

Hope to here for you all soon

Kind Regards
    Colin

97. Annie February 17, 2010 at 2:53 am #

13 1/2 x ll plater by Tunstall:

I have a small sqare, scalloped edge Tunstall
    platter marked with their Square Lion loga.
    Black number 04 on the back as well as
    imprint 1032 and H K Tunstall 12.
    On each corner there is a red daisy like
    flower with orange blooms.
    The main floral design is in lower left
    with a large yello daisy like flower with
    red center and black and green below as
    landscape with some flowers sm.
    Anyone know the name of this pattern or
    it’s value. It has no cracking and a little
    flaw in the porceline edge.
    thanks,
    Annie

98. Gillian Brown April 5, 2010 at 7:23 am #

I’ve scanned all the messages above and have not seen a reference to the set of H&K ware owned by my mother which features windmills and which I assume is a dressing table set comprising 10 pieces. I’m emailing from London. I can email photos if anyone is interested, and for my part I would appreciate any information about this design.

99. amanda April 30, 2010 at 2:24 am #

I have a h&k dinner service which I cannot reference on any site to date. The plates are hexagonal with an art-deco style print in orange,gold,brown & a flash of blue. The serving dishes have the no. 947 in yellow painted on the bottom. On the serving platters I can make out indentions of either 280 or 230? Any idea’s

100. cathy May 10, 2010 at 9:29 am #

Hi, I have an H&K Tunstall Plate that belonged to my Grandmother. It is a commemorative plate: “To commemorate the visit of their majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to Canada and the United States of America – May 1939″. Would anyone know what this might be worth?

101. Kathy May 20, 2010 at 10:39 am #

I was given a small milk/cream jug, H&K Tunstall autumn fruit pattern. I have since found (on ebay) a matching serving plate and a small bowl of the same pattern, and a tea cup and saucer in the similar luscious pattern. Can anyone tell me what pieces would have been made in the autumn fruit pattern? I am enjoying the search on ebay but also wonder if there are other places to find these items. In Canada – Kathy

102. rachel May 27, 2010 at 6:07 am #

Hiya,

I’ve got a lovely H&K Tunstall plate that is almost square with scalloped edges.

It has two inter-twinning trees one green trunk and one yellow. with orange and blur flowers on them. It has a thin yellow band around the edge and then 6 sets of flowers spaced around the edge 3 large and 3 small.

There is an intricate band around the trees containing tiny blue hearts, green trianges, orange flowers and gold swirls.

On the back is a green lion/ unicorn in a box with Made in England H&K Tunstall and a black pained on H and some yellow painted on numbers which i can’t read!

Can anyone help me identify the pattern as I’d love to find more of the set.

Rachel

103. Elna June 16, 2010 at 3:07 am #

Hi there. I live in South Africa and have no idea what antiques are worth and have few resources available here.

I have a tea set that once belonged to my grandmother. I believe the full set consisted of 6 cups, 6 saucers, 6 small plates, a fairly big teapot with lid, a small milk jug and a sugar bowl. The set I have has everything I mentioned except one saucer is missing.

At the bottom of each item (except the lid) is a green stamp that says: Made in England H&K Tunstall with a big B beneath that. The saucers and plates have a picture of what look like a unicorn above it.

The whole set has a very detailed gold flower motif on it (with other flowers on opposite sides, one side big the other small.) The saucers also has the gold motif with other flowers right in the centre.

Can anyone estimate a worth for this?

104. Elna June 16, 2010 at 3:10 am #

Can anyone estimate a worth for this?

Thanks!
    Elna

105. Kev June 26, 2010 at 6:46 pm #

Hi all, I have 11 COMO shaped single handed ewers in the DD patterns. So far I have named 8 with 3 yet to be identified but I will get there. Karen has named 3 that I haven’t got in the DD. That makes 14. I list them below if that helps anyone.

1. Luscious
    2. Autumn
    3. Autumn Tints
    4. Viola
    5. Gaiety
    6. Primula
    7. Tuliptime
    8. Anenome
    9. Iris
    10. Panola
    11. Lucia
    12. Yellow flower on multi coloured flash background (yet to be identified)
    13. Blue flower on multi cloured background (yet to be identified)
    14. What looks like white cloudes or tree tops on multi coloured bsckground (yet to be identified)

• karooch June 27, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

Thanks a lot for the updated list Kev. Every scrap of information on H&K Delicious Dozen that we can gather is another gem to add to the very small pile we have.

106. mair July 21, 2010 at 9:20 am #

Hi
    I have been given a H&K Tunstall bowl with six arabs riding cammels in the desert with 8 palm trees and primids in the distence the background colour is navey blue and goldish colour sand. it also has a black and white checkered strip runing straight across the bowl the stamp on the back is green sayin made in england then a unicorn faceing left underneth the unicorn it say h&k tunstall with numbers 1125 at the bottom of the bowl
    can please help me identifiying this bowl
    many thanks
    mair

107. Heidi August 14, 2010 at 11:05 pm #

Hi Karen,
    We have two pieces identical to your mini vase in the front of your picture. They are in perfect condition. Do you have any idea what they MIGHT be worth?

108. Paul August 22, 2010 at 6:48 am #

Hello all, my wife has maybe one of this collection its called “MARIE LOUISE ” no.666 or 664 handpainted by R. Grocutt can anybody put some light on it as we not been able to find any history or seen anything in the shops . Its like the AUTURM but it has gold edgings around the lip . Its a coffee set. thanks Paul

109. catherine o connor September 24, 2010 at 4:36 am #

I have a very large tunstalll plate. The name of the back of it” NATAL”. Anybody know the value of it?

110. Lady Bird September 27, 2010 at 11:25 pm #

Hi
    I have been given a very pretty square plate (H&K “silver m” and green B, could be a wall hanging or a cake plate) it has gold trim on the outerparts and what looks like cross stitch done into a very colourfull boquette of flowers in the middle. Would like to know if it has any worth.
    Kind regards
    Lady Bird

111. nevets November 25, 2010 at 8:10 am #

i,ve got a handpainted (viula)vase it seems to have some sort of number or id bellow the signature (3 dots 969 ) coloured green any ideas

112. Colin November 25, 2010 at 9:53 am #

Nevets

Viola is identification numbers are 636 633 639 numbers change depending on the Viola Blue or Viola Brown backgrounds which both have different coloured flowers and one has Blue as part of its backgroung colours. Its one of the patterns designed by R Growcott.

969 is not a number familure with the Viola Pattern

113. freeman woodland December 5, 2010 at 9:18 am #

i am looking for a H.K. Tunstall painted teapot thanks for any info

114. Georgia Harris January 29, 2011 at 1:17 am #

I have a tea pot…brown ceramic with glaze and painted in relief with gold trim. The bottom of the pot says fire proof and is stamped in gold with a small ribbon-banner and says No.2 T. Dean Tunstall, England. Would this be what you are looking for? I’m having a hard time finding information on this pot. Would appretiate hearing from you if you know anything at all. Thank you.

115. Jeanette February 1, 2011 at 9:47 am #

Hi, I have a H and K Tunstall Crinoline Lady 4 cup Tea Pot and a cake plate. Both are the Pink lady. These belonged to my mother who always had them when I was a child in the 50’s. My daughters in law are not interested in this type of crockery so I am keen to find out what they are now worth.

116. Jeanette February 1, 2011 at 9:48 am #

I meant to say they both have the green emblem on the back with a Green B.

117. Sheryl Standridge February 3, 2011 at 9:34 am #

I am near 70 and have my Great Grandmothers HSKTunstall B, pattern Homestead with “Made in England” cream pitcher.

Does anyone have any information on the age of this pattern?

118. David Sholly February 10, 2011 at 12:12 am #

I found what appears to be a mint tray in the Lucious pattern. the mark says H and K Tunstall and as best as I can make out has the signature R. Growcott. It also has the number 611.6 on it. Can you tell me anything about this piece?

119. jeff tunstall February 20, 2011 at 11:06 am #

hi I have tried to put a list of the d-d but I see so many that look like they may fit the art deco patterns. ok you tell me right or wrong?

1-Iris
    13-clamatis
    14-anemone
    15-lonsdale
    16-viola
    17-minster
    18-and 1 with what looks like 3 red plums on it
    19- this one looks like it may be apart of autumn leaves but smaller different shaped leaves.

• karooch February 21, 2011 at 7:33 am #

Great list Jeff. I’m not sure about lonsdale and minster. I don’t know what those patterns look like.

120. jeff tunstall February 21, 2011 at 9:56 am #

lol ok i found 2 more wild rose and avalon.i wonder is it only safe to say they are d-d only if someone comes up with a piece that the patterns signed by R. Growcott. is there any way i can send you a pic of my collection. and what lonsdale looks like

121. Suzi B. February 26, 2011 at 3:20 pm #

I acquired a small vase/urn with the H&K green stamp on it today at a flea market for $2.50USD. I cannot find this piece on the internet after searching most of the day. Its about 5″ tall with 2 handles. The background is purple-ish red with green abstract design with what looks like tan/yellow leaves on one side. Please advise to further my search on this piece & possible value. Thanks!

122. Angie April 3, 2011 at 1:38 am #

I have a lovely H&K coffee set, tiny cups, saucers, tea plates and a cake plate. The pattern is a romany gypsy caravan with gypsy lady and man in traditional gypsy garb. Background is cream edged with gold. Was gifted to me by an elderly aunt who got it from her aunt who had it bought for her as a wedding present! It is circa 1920’s. Has anybody seen this pattern before or know the design name? I have been unable to find it on any web search.
    Cheers.

123. linzy April 5, 2011 at 10:40 am #

I have a panola H & K Tunstall plate about 9 inches square in excellent condition. Does anyone know the approximate value? Thanks for any information!

Thanks!

124. thomas l May 6, 2011 at 3:25 am #

i have what looks like a milk jug in the same pattern as your collection in the pictures with marks on the bottom green either 1 10 1 () any idea what the bottom marks are

125. rita colucci May 18, 2011 at 11:58 am #

i have a complete coffee set which is over 80 years old.
    it is in very good condition. signed under h & k tunstall

i was wandering how much i could get for it
    i could send u a picture

rita colucci rita.colucci@yahoo.ca

126. phoenix June 16, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

hi guys i have 16 pieces of H&K tunstall, yes given by granny 25 or more years ago, the design is pekin, any offers $, sorry not my taste, just surfaced out of storage tucked away for for 8 years.

127. Lorraine June 21, 2011 at 12:51 am #

I have an old H&K plate that I can not identify. It is almost 9″ square with scalloped edges. It is trimmed with gold, has an edge of Yellow with gold floral design, then a circle of bright orange and the center is white. There is a number on the back – 4906. If anyone knows the name of this pattern, I would sure appreciate hearing from you. Thanks

128. Charlie July 7, 2011 at 8:04 am #

I have 2 H&K Plates 9″ square with a scalloped edge gold floral print ,with the pink lady in a garden beside a bird table in the centre of the plate. the No. 4845 A is printed on the back with the letter B in green below a Unicorn stamp. Both plates are identical any info would be appreciated ie; Age Value etc.
    Regards
    Charlie.

129. Wendy Dwyer July 13, 2011 at 2:09 am #

I have an octagonal bowl from H&K Tunstall. There is no pattern name on the bottom just the Tunstall stamp and the number 743. It is an octagonal bowl with yellow to gold background on the outside. The base of the bowl is also octagonal. Everyother section on the outside is painted with an old English cottage with a thatch roof and the other sections are painted with sections of an old English garden. The inside is shades of green with a navy blue rim from the top about three quarters of an inch down. At this point there is a small checker board pattern of black and the green in the bowl. This bowl has belonged to my grandmother and mother. My mother has had it since I was born and I am in my 60’s. My mother is over 100years old. If you have any information on this bowl , please email me. It would greatly be appreciated.

130. Tina Bond August 23, 2011 at 7:55 am #

Hi, I have a set of H&K tunstall that I am interested in getting more information on. I purchased it at an estate sale about 13 years ago. It consists of a tea pot, four regular sized teacups and their saucers, four tiny teacups and their saucers, and four 10″ plates that are square but have scalloped corners. The set is stamped Old English Sampler on the bottom in gold along with some markings that almost look like shorthand. They are also stamped in green with the H&K Tunstall stamp and some have the capital letter B below that. I would love to know when they would have been made as well as their potential value. One large teacup has a very small chip to the inside of the rim and one 10″ plate has about a 3-4mm chip on the underside of the rim. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

131. Lisa Harper September 27, 2011 at 1:04 am #

I have a pitcher (Autumn pattern) which is 7′ high at the rim and 9″ high at the pour lip – it is marked with a green stamp which I believe is numbered 60409. I am interested in knowing the year it was made and the value.

132. Lynda Clark October 2, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

Hi, I have a four piece set in yellow with a black and white frieze running around each piece with the most charming silhouettes of dancing children/nymphs. There is a large pitcher and wash bowl, a chamber pot and a vase (?). They are marked ‘Made in England’ with the unicorn undeneath then H & K, then Tunstall. That is in green then there is the number 9549 in black. It really is pretty. Does anyone know anything about it, please? Lynda

133. ed woods October 13, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

Hello, everyone! Just bought a nice cup and saucer from the Stratford Antiques Market here in Southwestern Ontario with the chevron on the bottom of both, as well as the letter B. They’re in good, but not great, shape, with considerable yellowing on the inside surface of the cup. 20 bucks Canadian. Couldn’t say no. Also a nice 5.5 inch Panola vase, the sort that tapers from a 2.5 inch base to 3.5 inches near the top, and then abruptly narrows to a 1.75 inch opening at the top. 45 Canadian. Couldn’t say no to it, either. It is so different from the familiar 7-inch H&K-type vase that goes from a 3-inch base to a 4.25-inch diameter fairly quickly, then tapers inward to 2 inches near the top, before a final ouward fluting to 3.25 inches at the top. When someone mentions H&K pottery to me, that seems to be the first image that comes to mind. In fact, from 30 feet away in a display case, I thought the Panola piece was Torquay.
    Take care, and good hunting, everyone! And remember, there’s a lot worse things you could be addicted to than English pottery.

134. Dana October 27, 2011 at 4:46 am #

Hello,

I have a HK Tunstall Pitcher that is 9″ tall and has a pattern that seems to be hard to find. It says AVALON above the Lion mark and only 2 of the 4 numbers are recognizable to me. I would like to know if this pattern is one of the delicious dozen or something else. Also I would be interested in knowing when it was made and possible value. I have pictures if anyone is interested in looking at it and the markings. Thank you.

135. babs October 28, 2011 at 12:02 am #

Hi

Like both Charlie and Jeanette, I have a largish square gilt edged
    plate by H & K with a pink crinoline lady in a garden in the centre and
    marked 4845. It also has a green back stamp.
    Could anyone tell me the value and age please?
    Many thanks

136. babs October 28, 2011 at 12:05 am #

Sorry, I forgot to give the actual size which is 10 3/4″” at the narrowest and
    11 1/2 ” diameter. It sounds daft I know but it has four straight sides as well as shaped corners which gives it two different dimensions.

137. Vicky sellars October 31, 2011 at 11:49 pm #

Hi I have an item which is a triangle dish.it is cream with a lady and a man in a garden,stood under a tree,she has a basket and a fan.the stamp on the back is green,it’s a unicorn I think and under that it says H&K tunstall made in England. Would like to know a bit more on it’s history and the value. Please email me thankyou.

138. ed woods November 19, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

Just got a decent cup and saucer from the Antiques barn in St. Jacobs, Ontario, Canada, a lovely town just north of where we are here, in London. Wanted a match for the one previously mentioned, same Autumn pattern; but paid twice the price of the other set, 40. Canadian. Very clean, though. Same letter B; same number, 4844. Would have passed on it; but now my wife and I can have a posh cup, together.
    They also had a nice Gaiety jug, 5 3/4 inches tall, 4 3/4 inch fluted opening at top (creamer? water? not sure). It has the initials FOWEY faintly but distinctly embossed in the bottom, signed by Gracott, number 127A, and has Hand Painted on it in written script. Are these additional details of any significance? I’m thinking probably not, in terms of collector interest. I’m thinking people like H&K pieces because they’re eminently useful; yet not so eye-wateringly expensive that if your young son uses one to play road hockey with, you’re going to throw him under a bus. I hope they stay reasonable, because they really are lovely. Thanks.

139. Weenie48 November 20, 2011 at 7:17 am #

Hi, I have a cake plate that is approximately 8 or so inches across the middle. It is round, has a blue line on the border, with a yellowish 1 and 1/2 ” border and another thin blue line. In the center is a garden scene with mostly orange and blue flowers, and a tree with pink flowers. In the foreground there sits a young woman on a bench. She is wearing a long pink dress, with a blue box on the waist and holds a blue hat in one hand and a bunch of pink flowers. She also has brown hair. The area around the actual scene is a belleek color. On the back is a green oblong stamp with what looks like some sort of horse. Under the stamp it is maked Made in England, with H&K , with Tunstall under that and the number 1084. There is also a number 5 and a small mark in blue. If someone could tell me the age and worth of this item, I would sure appreciate it………many thanks!!:)

140. Weenie48 November 20, 2011 at 7:19 am #

Meant to say “a blue bow on the waiste”…….

141. Neil Mclellan November 22, 2011 at 4:32 am #

Hi there
    I have been collecting tunstall for a few years now and have 200 plus pieces.
    I only have the desire to add one more pattern to my collection that is Iris.
    can anyone help

142. mike davies November 24, 2011 at 1:57 am #

Hi all i have been collecting H@K for 10 yrs and have many items including a complete Autum coffee set pot and all,wall pocket and cake slice.
    But all i am looking for now is the pattern LAGUNA which is white with a girl in Hawian dress , i would be interested in any of these pieces especially a coffee or teapot regards MIKE email tissot345@hotmail.com

143. Karen Ure December 15, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

I have been looking high and low for a Hollinshead & Kirkham Old English Sampler “teapot” . If anyone has any idea where I may locate one, I can be reached at karenure@hotmail.com. Thank you!

144. barb January 8, 2012 at 10:15 am #

i have a set of dishes made by h@k tunstall does anyone know where i can find the value of them in toronto ontario canada

145. Julia February 14, 2012 at 6:33 am #

I have a pretty hand painted plate with flowers and a number on the reverse of 3934, does this have any relevance? I am trying to get a valuation, any recommendations please?

146. Barb February 29, 2012 at 3:26 am #

I have just aquired a few pieces with impressed mark of H&K Tunstall and believe it to be early from c1876-1900. The pattern is Trilby, and is a blue floral transfer border on what may be a creamware, semi-porcelain. Each have a scalloped edge. The pieces include the larger flat soup bowls and a deep serving bowl. Any information would be appreciated regarding age or value. Thank you.

147. Pam April 9, 2012 at 12:11 am #

I have a sideplate in Autumn design by H & K numbered 4849 and , thanks to the Web, have managed to find what it is. Any other info. on the number would be interesting. Any value to it ?

148. philip johnstone June 12, 2012 at 12:27 am #

hi ive just bought a small vase type with reds greens,very clariss cliff like its in perfect condition and as ive read its also very like moorcroft also i will try and upload a photo asap it has the marks of a unicorn (i think )with made in england h@k tunstall and the letter (b) is it worth holding onto or would i get anything for it thanks

149. Diane horton June 27, 2012 at 12:43 am #

I acquired a small vase, perhaps for creamer? The bottom stamp states Autumn & below the unicorn? Is made in England H&K Tunstall. It has an autumn design of course w/ fruit & leaves. If I could send a pic I would. Any ideas? Any info of you have time will be most appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Diane

• karooch June 27, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Hi Diane. All the information I have on H&K is in the article above.

150. lorraine percival August 11, 2012 at 2:03 am #

i have a beautiful h&k tunstall autumn vase for sale would u know if anyone would be interested , it is in perfect condition

151. Sonia Hamilton August 17, 2012 at 5:32 am #

I have a H@K Tunstall cup, letter B on the bottom of it also. Unfortunately, in a move, the saucer broke. I would dearly love to get another saucer to match. Is it possible to get individual pieces? The designe is the same as above, Autumn. To me, it looks the same design as the square plate, but not the same as the cup in the background.

152. André November 1, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

I too have been collecting Tunstall (Autumn) for the past 40 years… – started when I was 12! My Parents had a large vase given them as a wedding present. These colours… always inspired and impressed me! I have quite a large collection, and use all actively. (with the few chosen well-mannered guests!) I can now have a complete six course meal, including coffee/tea afterwards using just this pattern… including serving bowls etc….( have much more… and loving them!! and I am STILL actively looking to buy, from where ever! So, if anyone has any TUNSTALL H&K AUTUMN pattern to sell…. let me know. I pay premium prices!!!
    It is good hearing others collecting Tunstall aswell….. it´s like buying into a different bygone age.
    andre.leon.potgieter@hotmail.com

153. Gib December 26, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

I am looking for an H&K Tunstall Crinoline Lady teapot. Would anyone have one for sale?

154. Monique January 3, 2013 at 8:00 am #

I have a number of H+K items, Autunm, Lucious and other series. Feel free to contact me.

155. Jan February 5, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

for Neil Mclellan…if you are still looking for an Iris plate, I have one.

156. ed woods November 15, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Just a note regarding a post from May of 2009 regarding H&K toby jugs: just came across one of those jugs at the Stratford market here in Southwestern Ontario: orange coat, blue breeches, white stockings, black boots and hat. The glaze edging on the hat goes about 1.5 inches inside the top, as opposed to RD toby jugs where the glaze ends exactly at the top rim of the piece. Not in mint shape; but no chips, either. 34 Canadian.
    Take care, everyone!

157. Kelvin Glen March 15, 2014 at 7:34 am #

In have an H and K biscuit barrel but cannot find a similar one on the internet for love or money. The original lid was broke in the 1930’s and a replacement was sought and made and looks quite good. all I am after is biome indication of value, can anybody help?

• karooch March 15, 2014 at 10:37 am #

I feel your pain Kevin. I have a T&G Green Streamline biscuit barrel. Also difficult to come by. Several years ago a visitor accidentally smashed the lid. And I have never been able to find a replacement. Sadly people who don’t collect antiques or vintage collectables don’t realise that it’s not a matter of just going out and buying a replacement.

158. Trevor Pahl April 19, 2014 at 12:34 am #

My Mom gave me an H & K dinner set before she passed away. I recall this set being used daily in the early 1940’s. The picture on the pieces is one of cows standing in a stream, and there are trees and flowers on the banks. Is there anyway of dating this design? My parents got married in 1936.

1. The Beauty of Belleek Porcelain « Scraps of Mind - April 11, 2007

[…] related posts: H&K Tunstall – The Delicious Dozen On the Scent – Vintage Perfume Bottles Confessions of a […]