Fabric Artistry

Let me state up front that the Sewing Machine and I have never been friends. But a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I used to make embroidery and cross-stitch pictures (still have them dotted about my house). And although I don’t work with needles any more, I truly admire the work of those who do.

In a previous post I introduced you to my friend Doreen and the magical fantasy inspired dolls she creates. I mentioned that she is also a magnificent quilt maker and one day when I get hold of some photos of her quilts I’ll share those with you too. But right now I want to show you her latest adventures with the needle.

Have a look at these gorgeous book covers that she’s been playing with. Apparently she was just experimenting and “…was so pleased with the result that I made visual diary covers with them.”

Well I have to say, If I could produce stuff like this I’d be pretty pleased with the result too. The blue one is machine embroidered over velvet and organza fabrics using variegated threads. How sumptuous is it??

And the tree is made from Xpandaprint dimensional paint and painted. The leaves are tyvec and angelina fibre. The background was hand dyed too. Is there no end to this woman’s talent?

And an extra tasty item for all you fabric and sewing enthusiasts is this link to Glenda Bailey’s Needlefelted Postcards blog. This is a feast of glorious inspiration for artists and crafters alike. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Other Related posts:

The Fine Line Between Craft and Art

16 Responses to Fabric Artistry

1. Janine June 8, 2007 at 11:40 am #

wow she is very talented and they are beautifuuuuuuuuulllllllll. stunning work.

2. Bonnie June 8, 2007 at 6:33 pm #

Thanks for the link Karen, I had a look-wow, such talent and amazing colorful work she creates! Looking forward to seeing your new ATC’s!

3. onlysleepn June 8, 2007 at 8:36 pm #

These are just gorgeous – especially the blue won. Iwish fabric and I were friends…

4. Corina June 9, 2007 at 5:07 am #

I want to make some day an altered book, textile and paper! This is a great example, thank you!

5. Kahshe Cottager aka Jen June 9, 2007 at 6:27 am #

These are really beautiful Karen! Oh to have talent!
    8-)

6. Antoinette June 9, 2007 at 7:37 pm #

Oh WOW – such beautiful works of art! LOL – and here I am, being proud of my cross-stitch projects :p Peanuts compared to this!

7. Karen June 10, 2007 at 1:37 pm #

Glad you liked it ladies. Yes she does have a lot of talent but she is her own harshest critic and she doesn’t recognise how good she is.

8. Tink June 11, 2007 at 12:15 am #

They are gorgeous. I don’t think any of us every really truly believes we are as good as everyone says we are, but she definitely has a talent above and beyond.

9. Sharon June 11, 2007 at 12:44 am #

Wow they really are amazing! I havent been to Essendon Spotlight yet. I have to go back to my local one and get some knitting supplies soon. I cant wait!

10. Doreen June 11, 2007 at 7:53 pm #

Thanks for all the lovely comments. I am glad I could share the details with you. I love to experiment with different techniques and practice till I get right. Can’t help being a perfectionist! I gave both journal covers away to doll friends for their birthdays. The blue one has a “H” on the front for “Halena”. The other went to a friend who enjoys making altered books. It has inspired her to use Xpandaprint too (when she can find where she put the little pot!)

Doreen

11. Martha~aka~Krash June 14, 2007 at 12:46 pm #

BEAUTIFUL find!! What a artist in every sense of the word!

12. Mackey June 17, 2007 at 3:13 am #

I meant to post the other day – I keep coming back to look again and again. Everything is lovely and the artistry of all of the pieces is just amazing! WOW!

Thank you for sharing this link with us!

13. Karooch June 17, 2007 at 5:45 pm #

Martha & Mackey I’m so glad you’re as impressed as I am. Now all we have to do is convince Doreen.

1. One Minute Painting - October 3, 2007

[…] you ever wanted to be an artist of the painting kind? My friend Doreen found this video on YouTube. This guy is amazing. He makes it look like nothing but I know if I […]

2. Meme: Passion Quilt | Scraps Of Mind - March 24, 2008