Published…for the very first time.

Those of you who have had your work published in ‘real life’ magazines can hopefully still remember the thrill of actually seeing your own layout staring back at you from the glossy pages of a big name magazine for the very first time. So I hope you will be indulgent whilst I just take a short moment to say

YIPPEEEEE!!!!!

whilst jumping up and down and waving my hands in the air.

A thread that was started a couple of months ago on the Scrap Girls message board encouraged us to share some constructive feedback so we could submit our layouts for publication. I had never done this before but I thought, hey why not? I was completely blown away when the very first layout I have ever submitted was accepted by Scrapbooking Memories (Australian version). I was also stunned at how excited I felt about that.

And now the magazine is finally in print and my layout is enshrined for posterity (well for me to gloat over in future years at least).

So to celebrate this momentous occasion I made this ‘layout of the layout’ using the same template and fabulous Art Journal Kit from Scrap Girls that I used in the original, but giving them a different look. And I thought I would share the ragged edge curvy template I made for the layout with you as a Freebie.
You can download here. I’ve saved it as a .PNG so it is portable across a number of graphics editing programs.

Instructions

(written for PSE but should be easy to follow in other editing programs):

1. Create a new 12×12 inch 300dpi document to work in so you don’t accidentally save your changes over an original file.
  2. Open the 3 template files into your graphics editing program. Decide whether you want the curve vertical or horizontal and rotate the template files 90 degrees if required (>Image>Rotate>90 degrees left or right).
  3. Click on File 1 and drag from your editing window into the new document you have created using the Move tool (Arrow icon at the top of the tool bar).
  4. Open the patterned paper you have chosen for your foreground and drag it onto your document.
  5. Press Ctrl G, and then Ctrl E and your paper is cut to the shape of your template.
  6. Drag your photo or photo’s into your document and then in the layers palette drag the photo layer(s) below your foreground paper layer.
  7. Position your photo(s) to your liking.
  8. Click on File 2 and drag from your editing window into your document. And in the layer palette position it above your photo(s) but below your foreground patterned paper.
  9. You can now drag the curved side in as far as you like to cover as much of your photo edges as your choose.
  10. Now drag a coordinating paper into your document, position it directly above the File 2 layer in the layer palette and press Ctrl G, then Ctrl E.
  11. Repeat Steps 8, 9 and 10 for File 3 using the same coordinating paper.
  12. If your photos have not covered the centre portion of your layout, either drag another paper into your document, positioning it at the bottom of the layer stack, or fill the paint bucket with a coordinating colour and dump it onto the background layer at the bottom of your layer stack. You can play with some effects to get some interesting texture on your background if you choose.
  13. Add some drop shadows, a title and a couple of embellishments and your layout is complete.

Hope you enjoy.

If you enjoyed this article why not subscribe to my free RSS feed. That way you can easily track all the daily posts on Scraps of Mind. Not sure what RSS is? All is explained here.

Other related Posts:

Scrapbooking Tips & Techniques – The Visual Triangle
Scrapbooking Tips & Techniques – Upsizing Photos
Scrapbooking Tips & Techniques – Printing your Digital Layouts

Scrap Girls: Making it simple for YOU to become a great digital scrapbooker!

35 Responses to Published…for the very first time.

1. Tania June 16, 2007 at 7:11 pm #

Congratulations Karen! What a marvelous achievement.
    I must say that is on my list of “Things to do In My Lifetime”. One day I might submit something. you inspire me.

2. Antoinette June 16, 2007 at 8:38 pm #

*throws confetti* Yep, I’d be jumping too.
    Now there’s a memory to treasure. Think of it… generations after generations will look at your layout and say: remember grand-grand-grand-auntie Karen, she got published at her very first try!
    Yeah I get carried away sometimes :) Seriously though, congrats Karen! Wonderful achievement.

3. Tink June 17, 2007 at 12:28 am #

Well deserved, I say (cracking open a bottle of bubbly to celebrate). I love the page you created and published as well as the page to show it off. What a neat idea. And thanks for the freebie (I have made a special folder just for you, lol)

4. Michelle June 17, 2007 at 3:04 am #

Congrats Karen. I love the layout and I can see why the magazine
    was so eager to publish it. With your talents, I suspect this is
    just the first of many times that you will have your work
    published.

5. Mackey June 17, 2007 at 3:11 am #

HURRAY for you Karen!! That is absolutely fantastic! I’ve been pubbed a handful of times and each time it gives me a thrill! I think it is absolutely marvelous for you! KUDOS!

6. Janine June 17, 2007 at 7:29 am #

Hi Karen

Well done on being published. Love the layout you created to celebrate that too. Wow I go away for a week and come back and find all sorts of things going on.

7. Sharon June 17, 2007 at 9:27 am #

Congratulations Karen. I’m sure we’ll be seeing more of your work published. Thanks for sharing the freebie (and instructions too).

8. Martha~aka~Krash June 17, 2007 at 12:00 pm #

Congratulations Karen!! That is a GREAT page:) It’s fun to see them in print isn’t it?? Thanks soo much for the freebie! I’m going to snag it in a bit:) Thanks also for the support you’ve given me…I really appreciate it

9. PacificTonz June 17, 2007 at 3:57 pm #

Oh Yippeeeee!!! Jumping up and down along side you! This is so exciting, congratulations, it is an awesome page and so deserves that recognition.

And thank you for the freebie too. Very generous.

10. Row June 17, 2007 at 4:57 pm #

Great layout! Big congrats. And thanks for the (now famous) freebie! :)

11. Karooch June 17, 2007 at 6:23 pm #

Thank you ladies for sharing my excitement with me. When I submitted it I didn’t think it was any big deal. So I was totally surprised with how excited I felt when it was accepted and again when I saw it in print.

12. Heather June 17, 2007 at 7:40 pm #

Wow Karen, that is really exciting!!!!! Well done to you!!

13. webfrau June 17, 2007 at 8:13 pm #

I love the commemorative LO, Congrats again. Thanks for the freebie.

14. Ann-Marie June 17, 2007 at 10:03 pm #

WOHOO!! Congratulations Karen .. wonderful LO and what an achievement :)

15. Antoinette June 18, 2007 at 4:24 am #

Tag you’re it (click my link please)

16. g June 18, 2007 at 2:25 pm #

Hi Karen!! congratulations on being published!! That’s great, a feat I have yet to accomplish (i should try harder right??!!)

i just checked out you antiques and there is some beautiful stuff there! I especially LOVE the cream and green set and those hat pins are amazing.

off to beddy bye now.

g

17. carol June 18, 2007 at 8:43 pm #

no wonder you were excited, what an achievement :)

18. Karooch June 18, 2007 at 9:32 pm #

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all of your lovely comments.

19. Kahshe Cottager aka Jen June 18, 2007 at 9:55 pm #

Wow Karen! Cngratulations!!! No wonder you are so excited! It looks wonderful. Thanks for the freebie (and thanks for your comments on my blog too!).

20. Jess June 18, 2007 at 10:02 pm #

WOW!!!! congratulations!!!!!
    I can imagine how excited you are!!!
    Love that layout!!!
    Xx Jess

21. americanmom June 19, 2007 at 3:40 am #

Congratulations Karen! That is so wonderful. I pick up Scrapbooking Memories sometimes at Barnes and Noble, so now I will DEFINITELY get it this time. Yes, we import your mags and have to pay top dollar to read them, LOL. I’m so happy for you! You deserve it – great page :)

22. Michelle June 19, 2007 at 7:41 am #

Congrats on your pub!!!

23. Marjorie June 21, 2007 at 11:34 am #

congrats on your publication!! That’s awesome! =)

24. Karooch June 21, 2007 at 10:16 pm #

Thank you all for you good wishes.

Oh my goodness Erika, I can’t believe youmight actually get to see the mag with my layout in it. I had no idea they sold in the US.

25. Lena June 22, 2007 at 2:43 am #

Hey congrats Karen! What a thrill it must be… wow, sure wish i can be published some day. Makes me grin just to imagine it. Hehe… way to go!

26. Andrea (Andilynn Designs) June 23, 2007 at 7:54 am #

Congrats Karen! This is so cool I’m going to run out a get a copy–hopefully I can still find one. Don’t know how I missed this very important post! Having problems with my RSS. Need to change blog readers I guess–I’ve been using Yahoo. Thanks for sharing the template.

27. Hannah June 25, 2007 at 6:31 am #

Congratulations, Karen!! Yes, I completely understand your excitement, I was like that too when I got published for the first time.

PS. I’m having a lot of trouble reading your posts, your sidebars seem to be “covering” the text of the post … not sure if you realise or not.

28. Karooch June 25, 2007 at 8:38 am #

Thanks for letting me know Hannah. I didn’t know it. I’ll investigate what’s
    happening.

Karen

29. Karooch June 27, 2007 at 1:32 pm #

And it gets even better! I sent a copy of the Published layout from this post to Scrapbooking Memories to tell them what I had done and they’ve just emailed me to tell me they want to publish that one too!!!

30. Andrea (Andilynn Designs) June 27, 2007 at 2:53 pm #

That is fabulous! I am so happy for you–you were so clever to scrapbook your first published layout!

31. Kayla Lamoreaux June 28, 2007 at 12:47 am #

That is awesome!! Cheers to you for the first of many published layouts! :) Congrats!

32. karooch June 29, 2007 at 9:38 pm #

Thanks Andrea and Kayla. It’s really weird I’ve been sending in layouts since they accepted the first one with no success. and when I sent in one that was a variation on the first one — and just to let them know, not actually offering it for submission — they snapped it up.

33. Shari (PV Mom of 2) July 12, 2007 at 1:17 am #

Double exciting! That is so fantastic! Yeah for you!!!

P.S. I love Thao’s Artistic Collection too!

34. Shari (PV Mom of 2) July 12, 2007 at 1:18 am #

I meant to say Art Journal Collection … silly me!

1. Scrapbook magazine layout submissions - July 11, 2007

[…] of you may recall a post I wrote a few weeks ago about how excited I was to be Published…for the very first time in a mainstream scrapbooking magazine. I was so thrilled and excited that I made a layout to […]