Cardmaking on the run

So there I was staying at my daughter’s place in Sydney. I’d come up for her birthday and I had arrived a week earlier than planned because I got a free ticket to a great Internet Business Seminar through the generosity of Yaro who runs the Blog Mastermind Program. So you can understand that my head was full of all I had heard and learned at the seminar and I was in a bit of post event ‘criusin’ mode’ for the few days following.

Then suddenly it hit me: tomorrow is Seona’s birthday AND I HAVEN”T MADE A CARD!!!

The big drama for me was that I was away from home so I didn’t have my trusty scrapbook stash and tools to help me pull together a great last minute card. AAAARRGGGHHHH!!

So first I had a little panic attack. It’s best to get that out of the way up front. And then I searched her house for stuff to use. Fortunately Seona and Phil are at work so I have the place to myself. I found a pair of scissors, a glue stick and a pack of satin finish photo paper. Time to create.

Thank Heavens for Five Freebies on Friday. I dived into the Scraps of Mind archives and downloaded the Tea in the Garden kit by Josie Celio from Scrapbook Bytes and a great cluster embellishment from Mermaid Maven. Then I launched myself into the bewildering world of Macromedia Fireworks. Seona is a web developer and this is her weapon of choice. A steep and frustrating learning curve for this little PSE4 lover.

But I did it! I didn’t want to make a totally digitally scrapbooked card, because I like a bit of depth on my cards. A bit of lumpy bumpy…you know. So I did a combination of digital and cut and paste (the scissors kind) to make this card. I’m very proud of myself for pulling it off, so I thought I’d share the triumph of my ‘mastery’ of Fireworks with you all.

Scrapbooking, digital scrapbooking, hybrid scrapbooking

But I’m really looking forward to getting back to my familiar PSE next week.

PS: Thank you Sydney for putting on such wonderful weather for my stay up here. My previous weather experiences of Sydney have always been wet and soggy but this time the weather has been a joy.

Other related Posts:

10 Top Scrapbook Freebie Sites
Scrapbook Software Secrets Revealed
Soggy Sydney

Scrap Girls: Making it simple for YOU to become a great digital scrapbooker!

14 Responses to Cardmaking on the run

1. Hannah August 2, 2007 at 1:23 pm #

What a gorgeous card!! I just love it – and I may have to copy it!! ;-)

2. Janine August 2, 2007 at 1:45 pm #

I really like that card Karen. I do like the depth of it veru much. Happy Birthday for Friday Seona

3. Wendi August 2, 2007 at 2:10 pm #

Oh, that is wonderful. Some of the best cards are made when we don’t have all our tools :) I definitely might have to lift this idea. Again gorgeous card!!

4. Joe Cheray August 2, 2007 at 3:18 pm #

That is amazing work. I struggle with doing anything too hands on arts and crafts wise. However, I love digital design. Great work.

5. karooch August 2, 2007 at 4:44 pm #

Feel free to copy Hannah, I’d be flattered.
    Thanks for the birthday wishes for Seona, Janine. She usually reads my blog befor she starts work in the morning. That’s why I felt safe about posting this in the afternoon. So she won’t see it until after i give her the card tomorrow.
    I have to say that this one brought a panic sweat to my brow Wendi. Fireworks is not my natural habitat and I to forever to work out how the things I needed worked in that program.
    Thanks Joe. Appreciate your visit.

6. charmaine August 2, 2007 at 7:53 pm #

Hi Karen, thanks for popping over to my site….i have been browsing yours and have added to my bloglines…there is more for me to come back and look at…..i would love it if you added my log to Lovin links:) I get alot of enjoyment from visiting new blogs:)

7. Hummie August 2, 2007 at 11:18 pm #

Digital Scrapbooking to the rescue! LOL…wonderful card!

8. Figur8 August 3, 2007 at 1:31 am #

Hey Karen, you’ve got a great site here. Just thought you might want to know though that on your main blog page, the side bar cuts into your blog posts.

9. Kayla August 3, 2007 at 5:35 am #

Love the card – and how cool that you found everything at your daughter’s place – maybe we will see a fireworks tutorial from Seona on a guest spot? :) Hope the seminar was great – I am always learning from you – you do a great job keeping us all up on the hot topics of the day! Thanks!

10. karooch August 3, 2007 at 9:50 am #

Hi Charmaine, happy to add anyone you has a link in their blogroll to Scraps of Mind.

Hummie, Figure8 and Kayla thanks a lot for your complements. I’ve probably made better cards but never uder this much pressure before. And I gave it to Seona this morning and she loved it so it was all worthwhile.

I think I know what the problem is with your view of my sidebar Figure8 (If you’re reading this Hannah it might be the same for you). I have a flexible width blog template. That means when you reduce the size of the viewing window the three columns move and ‘slide’ over each other to fit in the reduced space. The text has no trouble reformatting itself but the pictures can’t resize as they are a fixed size. So they slide under the right column. Hope this makes sense.

11. Seona August 3, 2007 at 10:45 am #

Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone! I loved the card, and now I understand why, when mum said she’d been having trouble with Fireworks that day, she didn’t follow it up by asking me for help.

And if people are interested, I may indeed run a guest-blogger spot on here with some Fireworks tips and tricks.

12. corina August 5, 2007 at 1:24 am #

I also like to make digital cards, this is a great one!

13. Heather August 6, 2007 at 3:51 pm #

Hi Karen, well done on that card!! I kept all my paper supplies with a view to making cards for everyone.. well so far I’ve only made two LOL Sounds like a nice trip to Sydney, glad the weather was good for you!

14. karooch August 6, 2007 at 4:08 pm #

Yes it was a great trip heather. And a bit of a blog experiment too. I kept the blog running throughout and that should be good practice for when i go overseas next month.