Have you ever done a Scrapbook Layout Make-over?

Have you ever done a make-over of one of your old scrapbook layouts?

I normally don’t do this because I like to see the differences in my scrapbooking style as it has evolved and grown through my increasing experience in scrapbooking. I think it’s a good thing to keep a record of where my scrapbooking techniques have come from, so I can better judge my improvements (or not). But this particular layout has bugged me ever since I completed it about two years ago.

The key areas that I felt were crying out for improvement were:

1. it was too dull and blah for the commemoration of such a significant event,
  2. the design was too unbalanced, especially on the second page, and
  3. the elements seemed too haphazard. They didn’t seem to connect with each other.

So I decided to give it a make-over and oomph it up a bit more. Here’s how I went about it.

• I decided to do a hybrid scrapbook layout, rather than all digital or all traditional. I wanted to get the best of both worlds
  • I wanted a stronger colour scheme with more contrast which would add impact whilst still ensuring that the photos were the centre of attention. I used Erica Hite’s Bookworm Collection from Scrap Girls (one of my all time favourite kits) teamed with papers from Hot off the Press Vintage collection.
  • I deleted the background from the main photo and cropped it to improve the eye contact with the viewer. Then I created an 8×8 digital scrapbook layout using backgrounds and elements from the Bookworm Collection, angled it and added the text in the negative space. I adjusted the lighting and sharpened the photo a bit using the technique I wrote about in an earlier photomerge article.
  • The smaller photos were victims of my early inexperience with digital cameras. For the original layout I had resized them whilst they were at 72dpi and then saved them; rendering them virtually useless. I resized them using the scrapbooking techniques demonstrated in my earlier post, Upsizing Photos. Then I tinted them teal using the Photographic Effects layer style in Photoshop Elements.
  • I coloured some white flowers to match the colour scheme using stamp inks; I just stamped the pad onto the flowers a few times to get a mottled effect. And I also introduced a splash of red, just to punch it up a bit.
  • Then all that was left was to assemble all the pieces together with some tags from the HOtP Vintage book and some of their really cool Brad Buddies.
  • Extra tip: you can’t see it properly in the scan but I created a ‘raised corner’ look on a couple of the smaller photos by sticking a square of foam tape under one of the corners and flicking the edge up a bit.

I’m a lot happier with the result. I think the new layout has a lot more impact than the original and is more in keeping with the momentous occasion. Hope Seona likes it too.

What are your thoughts? Do you do make-overs on your layouts?

Scrapbooking Techniques & Tips – Upsizing Photos
Scrapbooking Techniques & Tips – Photomerge: electronic versions of your paper scrapbook layouts
Scrapbooking Techniques & Tips – Printing your Digital Layouts
Scrapbooking Techniques & Tips – The Visual Triangle
Scrapbook Design Principles – Rule of Thirds and Z Movement

Scrap Girls: Making it simple for YOU to become a great digital scrapbooker!

14 Responses to Have you ever done a Scrapbook Layout Make-over?

1. Seona August 20, 2007 at 5:33 pm #

I do indeed. Even if it does have more recent photos of me than I really like seeing. Can’t wait until the next time I’m in Melbourne so I can see it in the flesh.

2. Hannah August 20, 2007 at 5:34 pm #

You have done a great job with the makeover, Karen – I really do like the second one much better :-)
    Having said that, I refuse to make over my layouts. I made a rule a long time ago that I would never do that, because I would always be wanting to change things as I got better (and I hope I will keep getting better as time goes by). So I won’t ever change my old pages or redo them, as much as I might really really want to!!
    The thing I have allowed myself to do is to scrap the same photos again on a new page. That way I still have the old layout and I also have a new one. I’ve only done this a couple of times though, as I have soooo many other photos I can scrap that I seldom feel the need to do any for a 2nd time! ;-)

3. Lani August 20, 2007 at 8:36 pm #

Definately like the second one better! Great improvements! I dont redo pages but As Hannah above me said, i do occasionally scrap the same photo twice. Normally its a photo that i paper scrapped but then want to do a digital version

4. Tink August 20, 2007 at 10:51 pm #

I don’t normally do make-overs. But what I might do, especially if I am doing a digital challenge is only save it for the challenge (6″ at 72 dpi) if I am not real happy with the results. So I still have a copy to refer back to if necessary.

5. karooch August 20, 2007 at 10:57 pm #

Hannah, Lani and Tink thanks for your feedback, and I totally agree. I prefer to leave my previous layouts as they are as it helps me to better appreciate my changing (and I hope,improving) scrapbooking style. In this case I wasn’t happy with the result of the original layout from the moment it was completed. It niggled at me whenever I looked at it. So I just had to do something about it. I still have the original so I can keep the comparison.

Glad you liked the second one better. I’d have been devastated if you said you preferred the first one. And I’m especially glad you liked it Seona.

6. corina August 21, 2007 at 12:50 am #

I think you did a great job! I prefere to keep my layouts,
    so I can see if I made any progress of not:)

7. Julie Ann Shahin August 21, 2007 at 10:51 pm #

Oh! I love it. Please submit your hybrid projects to Scrapbook Dimensions!!!!

8. Kayla August 22, 2007 at 5:36 am #

I have made over my layouts – but I try not to do too many – because I am such a perfectionist I would spend all my time in “do-over” mode!

I love the makeover – and i think it is a good thing to makeover pages that are so important and record major milestones!

9. karooch August 22, 2007 at 5:51 pm #

Thanks Corina, yes it’s always goos to see how you make progress over time in your scrapbooking style.

Julie Ann thanks for the recommendation but the submissions for Scrapbook Dimensions have already closed. There’s no indication of what categories they want submissions for going forward.

Kayla I know what you mean, I sometimes think I spend more time fiddling with the tiny details that I do with the rest of the layout. Going back too often would be a disaster. I guess we both just need to learn to let go and move on.

10. Julie Ann Shahin August 22, 2007 at 11:12 pm #

I forgot to mention that you can submit to Scrapbook Dimensions at any time. We are looking at the general submissions for other projects in addition to the magazine!

11. karooch August 24, 2007 at 8:23 pm #

Thanks a lot Julie Ann. I’ve sent a couple of submissions in and we’ll see how we go.

12. hiutopor September 17, 2007 at 6:51 pm #

Hi all!

Very interesting information! Thanks!

Bye

1. Touching up your scrapbook photos - August 29, 2007

[…] Have you ever done a scrapbook layout makeover? What resolution should you print your layouts at? Scrapbooking is not a race […]

2. Do you make Scrapbook Layouts without Photos? | Scraps Of Mind - December 20, 2007

[…] Have you ever done a Scrapbook Layout Makeover? Dancing with the Stars Hybrid Scrapbooking – What’s it all about? Scrapbooking in Circles If you’re new to Scraps of Mind and you enjoyed this article please click here and Subscribe to my RSS feed. That way you can easily keep up to date with all the new Scraps of Mind posts. Not sure what RSS is about? All is explained (in non-tech speak) here. […]