5 Ways to Get More Blog Comments

For most of us bloggers, we love comments. Comments are a welcome indication that we are not alone out in the Blogosphere. However the reality is that only a small proportion of a blog’s readership will leave comments.

Are you one of these people?

If you want to bring new people to your blog then you need to give them some encouragement. When you visit new blogs you need to interact with them. Leave a worthwhile comment on a few posts and usually the blog owner will follow your link back to your own blog. If they like what they find then they will add you to their Feedreader Subscription list and join your readership. By the way if anyone doesn’t quite understand what that is, just read my article explaining what it’s all about. This organic traffic growth builds relationships and broadens your network. All blogging goodness.

And when new or regular readers arrive at your blog, you want to encourage them to leave comments too. So let’s give some consideration to things you might do to encourage people to comment on your blog.

5 Ways to Get More Blog Comments:

1. Write posts that give your readers something to comment on. This may sound obvious but sometimes we write a post that exists just for itself. It doesn’t create a feeling that there’s any need to comment on it. Try to keep the ending of your posts feeling open to invite comments.
  2. Ask your readers a question at the end of your post to stimulate a comment. And then actually invite them to comment.
  3. Ask for their thoughts on the subject of your post so they will know you do actually want to hear what they think. The important thing is to make sure that your readers know that their comments are important to you.
  4. Provide an easy way for them to leave a comment. I have visited some blogs where I have scrolled up and down the post looking for the link to leave a comment. Make sure that the link to click on to leave a comment is clearly marked and easy to find. My preference is to have it at the bottom of the post so your readers can easily click and leave their comment as soon as they finish reading your post.
  5. And this is the biggie. Make sure that you respond to your readers’ comments so that both your commenters and your prospective commenters can see that you actually do read their comments.

Now Scrapbookers tend to be a naturally friendly bunch. So this shouldn’t be too difficult to implement and see some good results from. Remember though, it all starts with you leaving comments on other blogs. After all if you don’t do it, why should anyone else leave comments on yours? Someone has to get the ball rolling.

Let me know if you found this useful and if you have other tips for encouraging blog comments. I think we all enjoy opening our email each day and finding lots of lovely comments.

Let your blog Stumble…it won’t hurt
Top 10 Tips to Building a better Blog
10 Steps to publishing a Professional Looking Post…first time

Click here to get The Blog Profits Blueprint

11 Responses to 5 Ways to Get More Blog Comments

1. Melothria September 11, 2007 at 9:43 pm #

Nice tips thanks, especially the one on answering comments. Personally I tend to stop visiting blogs where I have left several comments and never got any reply. As for my blog, I try to visit the blogs of people who have left a comment on mine and say hello as much as I can. You know what I think sometimes, that Internet has deprived many of us of the elementary politeness. I also think that it can be difficult, for some of us, to keep our feet on the ground when having a well read blog and we can easily forget that we are not stars and readers are not our fans. I just had to say that because I left comments to bloggers I really enjoyed reading and they never ever answered me in months (while some others take the time to visit, to comment, even send me e-emails). It is about exchanging and sharing and communicating, and you can even make friends (I have made some!!) In my opinion. But this is not your case of course (nor mine!!) and to let you know, today we are 17 Mad Doodles on Yahoo :) and you are welcome to join us :)

2. Olga September 12, 2007 at 3:47 am #

I have never been bothered by not being answered in a blog were I leave comments. Even though I have a Google account and supposedly a blog I don’t use so I have no blog anyone can visit, so I’m not worry about it. I do consider that for instance when you go to a blog where there is what you could consider topics of conversation you might get a comment from the owner as it becomes a kind of conversation taking place about something. In your post about the comments issue and the way it works in the bloggosphere.

I guess you may have more to say in some blogs than in anothers but I also imagine some blog owners might consider themselves quite lonely if they don’t see comments and believe no-one is reading them.
    Actually the tips are quite good, thanks so much for sharing them with us and best wishes. :O)

3. karooch September 12, 2007 at 8:02 am #

Thanks a lot for your thoughts Melothria and Olga. I am very fortunate that I have a number of great readers of Scraps of Mind (such as yourselves) who are generous with their comments. Many readers don’t leave comments and that’s OK too. My stats counters let me know that I’m getting more and more readers.

But I know that many blog owners get frustrated because they don’t get comments. And I think they need to understand that they can probably improve this if they think a little more about how they encourage comments.

4. Diane September 12, 2007 at 8:34 am #

Good post – thanks.

I think that if someone has taken the time comment on your blog then it is only polite to reply and check out their blog! I suppose that is easy to say when you have manageable numbers of comments – like me, but I don’t mind if someone does a ‘bulk’ thank you!

5. Tink September 12, 2007 at 1:07 pm #

I read all the comments on mine, but many times fail to leave a comment myself. Something I need to work on :)

6. Jess (Scrapbook Ideas) September 12, 2007 at 2:02 pm #

Great thoughts :). The vast majority of my readers don’t leave comments. My blog is set up more to dispense information than to start conversations, but it might be fun to have more posts that encourage dialog :). Luckily stat counters are great for letting you know you are not alone in the world!

7. karooch September 12, 2007 at 5:25 pm #

Sometimes you have to do a response to a few people at the same time Diane, otherwise your own comments end up taking over. Which is not at all what you want.
    I appreciate all my regular commenters but I’m excited to see that a number of new readers are joining in too.

Tink, you know I love all your comments.

And you are making some great looking books over on you blog Jess. Very interesting for someone who likes to make the odd mini album every so often.

8. Antoinette September 16, 2007 at 9:04 am #

Hmm.. something to add to your tips: Write posts – period (ROFL) I’m such a bad blogger that the few people who actually read my blog, just stay away after weeks of no update.
    I leave a comment almost everytime I visit a blog, whether it’s appreciated I don’t know as many people don’t bother to follow the link back, but that’s okay. I mean *that* is not why I’m commenting.
    Love the new look!

9. karooch September 16, 2007 at 5:21 pm #

Actually that’s not such a ‘funny’ tip Antoinette. I make sure I post every day except Sunday so Scraps of Mind readers know that there will be something new every day on my blog.

10. Janine September 20, 2007 at 4:41 am #

Some good points there Karen. I have noticed lulls latley in people updating thier blogs. Life sometimes gets in the way. But I have to admit I am like Melothira and after a while decided it was one way traffic and dont bother leaving comments on some peoples.

11. karooch September 20, 2007 at 10:38 am #

Glad to see you still leave comments on Scraps of Mind Janine. I’d miss it if you didn’t.