What kind of a Scrapbooker are you?

In previous articles we’ve talked about the reasons why we do Scrapbooking and how we actually first got started in Scrapbooking. And I thought it would be interesting to get an idea of the different kinds of Scrapbookers that read Scraps of Mind. There are several different combinations of scrapbooking techniques that we scrapbookers employ and I guess different folk are into different combinations or maybe just one.

I find these days that I mainly do digital scrapbooking, probably because I now find that it comes more easily to me than traditional scrapbooking. But I still can’t resist the tactile lure. So that’s why I’m drawn to hybrid scrapbooking, where I can either add ‘real life’ elements to my digital layouts when I print them out, or I can create digital components which I add to my paper layouts. I don’t just mean printing out digital photos, but more adding a frame or some digital elements to the photo and then printing it out, cutting it and pasting it into my paper layout, together with the other ‘real life’ elements that will make it up.

I also like to make cards which are either totally traditional or hybrid techniques. I rarely make digital cards. And my ATCs are almost always made using traditional methods.

So what about you? Are you a Traditional, Digital or Hybrid Scrapbooker? Or do you enjoy a combination of two or more.

I’d like to know for two reasons,

1. I’m actually interested to know more about you and your approach to this magnificent addiction we share, and
  2. I think it will be helpful to know where your Scrapbooking preferences lie when I’m thinking about what topics to write about on Scraps of Mind.

So please pick one of the survey options below and let’s get to understand a bit more about our scrapbooking community.

[survey_fly]

If there is an option that fits you that I haven’t covered here, please let me know in the comments and I’ll include it in the results.

I’ll publish the results of the survey at the end of the week (assuming enough of you give it a go to make it worthwhile publishing) Thanks in advance for joining in.

How did you get into Scrapbooking?
Why I Scrapbook
Hybrid Scrapbooking – The Best of Both Worlds
Trading ATCs
———————————

Start digitally scrapbooking today – FAST!
Software Scrapbook Secrets Revealed will let you start creating layouts within 60 to 90 minutes by watching these easy to use movie tutorials.
Available for Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop Elements, and Photoshop.

18 Responses to What kind of a Scrapbooker are you?

1. Hannah October 30, 2007 at 5:00 am #

I’ve voted!

2. ~Heather W~ October 30, 2007 at 5:24 am #

Well, I said I’m digital, because that was the best choice. But I still have some long-term paper albums that I still work in on paper (like one that’s hard bound – so there’s no way to even slip in digital pages among the others – of all of my daughter’s Christmas ornaments each year, and what they symbolize).

But honestly, at this point the best way to describe me is “theoretical scrapbooker.” I haven’t done *any* scrapbooking, of any sort, in much too long!

3. Tink October 30, 2007 at 6:02 am #

Voted too. I remember my very first hybrid layout too. LOL. It was when I got back from Germany and couldn’t find any embellishments that I really liked so I made by own computer generated ones. (hey we are talking nearly 10 years ago or more, just wasn’t much around even in the traditional format in NW Florida)

4. Antoinette October 30, 2007 at 8:56 am #

I’m definitely a digital scrapbooker. No mess, no supplies lying around in the house, no projects taking up space (apart from computer space) it’s just the right thing for me.
    But, like you I like the depth in real scrapbooking layouts. So I’ve signed up for 4 scrapbooking workshops at our local scrapbooking shop. The owner is a sweetie – very patient! – and the workshops are always fun.
    I still have 2 unfinished projects from the 2 previous workshops I did – lol – but I’m determined to finish the projects from the future workshops!
    Most looking forward to the Dec 20th workshop, going to create a Christmas wreath – will show the results on my blog (that is, if I don’t mess up!)

5. Olga October 30, 2007 at 9:28 am #

I have voted as the rest, and in my case I’m fully digital and never have done traditional. I might consider in the future perhaps doing something hybrid, as the feeling for some things would be nice and add a nice touch more hand-made feeling than something digital, like in cards or ATC or invitations. But I’m definitely sure I will never do a page for an album traditional or even hybrid, the books would be less bulky and they’ll easier to keep and maintain. :)

Best wishes. :O)

6. karooch October 30, 2007 at 4:51 pm #

Thanks a lot for voting ladies. I hope more readers will join you.
    It’s interesting how our different journeys through scrapbooking have influenced what kind of scrapbooking we do now. And who knows what we’ll be doing next year. I love evolution.

7. Melothria October 30, 2007 at 5:43 pm #

voted :)

8. JanMary, N Ireland October 30, 2007 at 9:29 pm #

My layouts are 100% digital, but I am interested in combining digital with paper craft techniques to create hybrid gifts – mini albums, cards, altered books and anything else I can find – Looking for inspiration – any ideas?

9. karooch October 31, 2007 at 6:59 am #

I’ve written a few articles about hybrid scrapbooking techniques on Scraps of Mind in recent months JanMary. Cardmaking on the Run, Hybrid Scrapbooking, what’s it all about?, and Have you ever done a Scrapbook Layout Makeover? spring to mind.

10. Michelle October 31, 2007 at 7:16 am #

Looks like I am the lone pure traditional scrapper out there – but I know that isn’t the case. I was slow to switch to digital photography so it would only make sense that I would be slow to make the switch to digital scrapbooking.

11. karooch November 1, 2007 at 8:05 am #

I’m pretty sure that’s not the case Michelle. It’s just that not everyone leaves a comment.

12. Erika November 1, 2007 at 4:17 pm #

Hi Karen ~ I voted Traditional scrapper. Just an old-fashioned girl, LOL :)

13. karooch November 1, 2007 at 9:37 pm #

Ah well, who knows Erika, one day you may be lured over to the dark side.

14. Margie November 21, 2007 at 3:35 am #

I am intimidated by digital scrapbooking – I do use a digital camera exclusively now as I love the ability to have my photos immediately. I’ve tried to use tutorials and follow articles on digital scrabooking in magazines, but just get so frustrated and seem unable to follow them….any suggestions? I’m not a dummy – have a pretty good grasp of computer use in general and am the computer guru in my house. Don’t know why I just have not been able to use digital tools to create pages!!!

15. karooch November 21, 2007 at 7:20 am #

It certainly be daunting when you first start digital scrapbooking Margie. As with any new technology there’s always going to be a bit of a learning curve to get through. I’m not sure what photo graphics editing program you use but I would suggest that you get a beginners digital scrapbooking course to help you get started. The trouble with the software packages tutorials is that their not designed for scrapbooking so that just makes the whole learning process so much harder. I found the Scrapbook Software Secrets Revealed tutorial pack from Scrap Girls to be brilliant when I started. You can choose a pack that’s designed for your specific software package so all the tools and language is right for you. And the tutorials are easy to follow and make learning much quicker. I would watch a tutorial right through, then replay it and pause whilst I copied the techniques on my own layout. It’s the only way to learn in my opinion.

16. Olga November 21, 2007 at 12:18 pm #

Margie a good idea would be to know the kind of program you are using. Photosop and Photoshop Elements have lots of tutorials around the net and the recommendation by Karooch is a terrific one. I´ve heard wonders of those tutorials. If you use another program an alternative could be to look in a website with tutorials for that program.

I use Gimp to scrap, and it’s taken me ages to learn the program and I’m still learning. The good thing is that it’s free and with some imagination you can adapt most PS and Elements tutorials to the program plus find others around the web specific to the program. Another alternative and if you are starting could be Paint.Net, another free program and with a very active board (though it’s not scrapbooking but photography related), it’s a terrific program very easy to learn (easier than Gimp) and it barely occupies space in the computer compare with either PS, Elements and even Gimp (it’s a smaller program than PS but its bigger than Paint.Net).

Just try to make a search around the net for tutorials for your specific program, you could find lots of them that way. :D

Best wishes. :O)

1. Technology 1: karooch 0 | Scraps Of Mind - November 5, 2007

[…] have been struggling for hours to get the Survey widget thingy that I used for the What Kind Of Scrapbooker Are You Survey to work. I had planned to amaze you with wonderful graphs and pie charts showing the results of […]

2. Your favourite scrapbooking place - January 7, 2008