Blending Your Own Scrapbook Backgrounds – Video Tutorial

I’ve just spent the last day and a half learning how to make web videos so I thought I’d unleash my new skill on you all.

Some of you may recall a previous digital scrapbooking tutorial I did called Blend your own Backgrounds. Well I’ve redone the tutorial as a video, walking you through how I created the layout illustrated in the original tutorial. Plus a couple of other bonus tips. I hope you like it.

Click here for a high resolution version of this video
All the elements used in this tutorial are from the gorgeous Renew Collection by Shalae Tippett from Scrap Girls.

I made this video using Photoshop Elements but the ideas and techniques can be applied to most photo editing software packages.

If you think this digital scrapbooking tutorial is worthwhile, I’d really really appreciate it if you would click over to the YouTube version and give it a rating or share it with other Scrapbookers by clicking on the StumbleUpon button below.

And don’t forget to let me know what you think in the comments below. Constructive feedback is always welcome so I can improve, but please be gentle.

Scrapbook Techniques & Tips – Blend your own Backgrounds

24 Responses to Blending Your Own Scrapbook Backgrounds – Video Tutorial

1. Antoinette November 8, 2007 at 9:58 am #

Awesome Karen – very well explained. I wish I had a teacher like that when I first opened Photoshop, and immediately closed it again (lol) – I was so confused, but you make it sound so easy!
    You work exactly as I do, creating the extra layer and lowering the opacity, it makes the shades more subtle.
    And hats off to you for creating your first video! I wish I knew how to do that… maybe an idea for another tutorial?? (j/k)

2. Antoinette November 8, 2007 at 9:59 am #

P.S. I get a `404 – Page Not Found´ error when I click the StumbleUpon button

3. Tink November 8, 2007 at 10:32 am #

Excellent web version tutorial.

4. Cindy November 8, 2007 at 1:56 pm #

Wow. This was fantastic. I wish I had time to add Digital Scrapbooking to my life because this would be such a wonderful outlet. I really enjoy your blog. The tutorial is great!

5. karooch November 8, 2007 at 8:44 pm #

Thanks Antoinette, Tink and Cindy. I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I must admit I’m pretty excited by it and I’ll definitely be doing more.
    Thanks for pointing out the dodgy button Antoinette. I’ve got rid of it from the front page and i’ll work out how to get the code sorted and fixed up.

6. Kayla aka Legacy Lady November 10, 2007 at 1:15 am #

Love this Karen – still love your accent and the video is just grand! totally stumbling this! :)

7. karooch November 11, 2007 at 9:32 pm #

Thanks Kayla. I’m starting to come to terms with the accent thing. i never realised i had an accent until I started doing this stuff.

8. Frances November 12, 2007 at 9:37 am #

Great video! Really top effort for your first time.

9. Joe Cheray November 13, 2007 at 3:45 am #

I really enjoyed this Karen, it is interesting to see how some of the techniques you used can also be applied to paint shop pro. The shadow feature or effect is referred to a drop shadow in paint shop pro and you can adjust opacity,blur,the horizontal and vertical direction of the shadow. In the Blog Mastermind Forum my avatar demonstrates the use of the drop shadow effect on the words wild heart. You can aslo use frames and different layers as well.

10. karooch November 13, 2007 at 9:42 am #

Thanks Fran and Joe. This is definitely a learning process for me. I made the video in a larger screen resolution (800×600 pixels) and by the time it had been squashed into a YouTube size the quality of the picture has been reduced. That’s why it’s blurry. I’ll have to work on that for next time.

11. rural allan November 16, 2007 at 9:35 pm #

I’m certainly no expert in scrap booking,but karen your tutorial was informative and easy to follow.
    Having a interest in computers and graphics,I didn’t realise how even the hunble art of scrap booking
    can be enhanced by digital techniques.
    Your tutorial proved that it is easy to get into,and in a ‘techy friendly’ way !
    – maybe Bill Gates should take up digital scrap booking !

Well done karen,keep ‘em coming !

12. karooch November 17, 2007 at 10:01 am #

Thanks Allan. Seeing your comment on my blog was a real surprise. Darn, does this mean I’ll have to censor the things I say about you in future?

13. Stardust June 24, 2008 at 12:20 pm #

This is a brilliant post! I came when I was searching for tips on how to create a simple photo collage, like several pictures in a neatly arrayed form, but to no avail. The great video has provided me with good information on how to play with layers, but I’m still clueless with my attempt on my Photoshop elements 6.

I will be visiting your site to learn more. Meanwhile, do you know how to create a simple collage like I’ve mentioned? I managed to sit the picture in but I got stuck when it comes to resizing.

Thank you, and I’ve enjoyed your video. Have a nice day.

Stardusts last blog post..That’s lotsa Poppy Love!

14. karooch June 24, 2008 at 10:43 pm #

I’m not sure exactly what you mean Julia.
    Here is a post on making a photo collage but I don’t know if this is what you’re wanting to do.
    To arrange your photos in a neat form on your layout you should just drag them onto your layout file. They will each appear in a separate layer.
    Than just move them about and resize them until you have the design you like.

15. Gini December 31, 2008 at 2:28 pm #

Very well explained and a gorgeous result!

Ginis last blog post..Petal People Portraits – How to Turn a Person into a Flower in Photoshop

16. Christina December 5, 2011 at 8:06 am #

I’m new to digital scrapbooking and I really enjoyed this tutorial. I can’t wait to do some projects. Thanks a bunch!

Christina

• karooch December 5, 2011 at 9:15 am #

Hi Christina. If you’re new to digital scrapbooking you might find this site helpful.

It’s a digital scrapbooking for beginners site and it has links to more of my tutorials.

17. Julia April 10, 2012 at 11:33 am #

Oh no am I going to miss alot by not using the video?? I love the written and PDF tutorials because the videos its hard to follow along and do the steps, plus my internet usage and internet speed, Im in the country and its sooo slow..

18. radha iyengar September 2, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Hello, i was watching the clipping mask on a frame with a news paper. when i did that it only clipped by only frame not inside. it looked like that the frame was made by the paper that i chose But i wanted to see all inside the frame the pattern. What i am doing wrong?
    please send answers to meiyengar@yahoo.com
    radha iyengar

1. sk-rt.com - November 7, 2007

Blending your own Scrapbook Backgrounds…

Great tutorial showing you how to create your own unique digital scrapbook backgrounds using the blending modes in Photoshop Elements plus some bonus tips on adding shadows to your elements and digitally tucking a photo through a frame….

2. PCLayers Scrapbooking Competition - November 13, 2007

[…] Blending your own backgrounds Planning your layouts with sketches Are you up for a Digital ATC Challenge? […]

3. Scraps of Mind - 2007, The Year That Was | Scraps Of Mind - December 31, 2007

[…] with Ro Paxman,CEO of Scrap Girls, fairly blew me away. And wrestling with the software to make my first Video Tutorial was a huge challenge for me. Fortunately, I’ve improved my technique since […]

4. Make Your Journaling Pop | Scraps Of Mind - January 16, 2008

[…] Blending your own backgrounds – Video Tutorial […]

5. Digital Scrapbook Tutorial – Blending photos into the background — Scraps Of Mind - February 14, 2012

[…] can blend several background papers together using different blending modes to give you a whole different looking […]