Curled Edges Video Scrapbooking Tutorial

I was originally inspired to make this digital scrapbooking video tutorial by a post at Scrapbook Ideas which I found through the Digital Scrapbooking Blog Carnival.

Rolled or curled edges look great on digital scrapbooking layouts where you get the effect that the top paper has been torn and rolled back to reveal another paper underneath. And they’re not that hard to make for yourself. When you’re done you’ll have an element you can use over again on many layouts and can customise it to blend with whatever paper you’re using.

I use Photoshop Elements to make my Curled Edge but the method is good for any of the photo editing software programs but the names of tools and their location maybe different in different programs.

Click here to download a larger, better quality version of this tutorial.

The papers used in this tutorial are out of Erica Hite’s magnificent Bookworm Collection from Scrap Girls

Please share this digital scrapbooking tutorial with others by voting for it on Stumble and bookmarking it in Delicious.

Let your Blog Stumble … it won’t hurt

Full length Digital Scrapbook Tutorials

34 Responses to Curled Edges Video Scrapbooking Tutorial

1. Raymond Chua December 27, 2007 at 7:40 pm #

Nice video. You must have put in a lot of effort to create this video. :)

2. Jess Gordon December 28, 2007 at 2:18 am #

Fantastic!!! Thanks so much for sharing this, it will be very helpful and appreciated by so many scrappers! I will be sure to let my readers at Scrapbook Ideas know about your video tutorial :)!

3. AmyL December 28, 2007 at 3:59 am #

Karen,

You do great work! One thing I’d be interested in seeing is a closeup of your finished product. YouTube videos don’t always let us see with as much detail as we’d like. :) Just an idea.

4. Cindy December 28, 2007 at 4:09 am #

Hi Karen,

I love the curls. Thanks for a great tutorial.

5. Hummie December 28, 2007 at 8:52 am #

Fantastic tutorial!

I do have to mention that the BlogRush is half over the video, though. But you do offer a download of it, so that fixes the problem. It’s the middle column of your template overlapping with the video that is larger than the first column.

6. AmyL December 28, 2007 at 9:39 am #

I’m viewing in Firefox, and the BlogRush stays where it’s supposed to. :)

7. karooch December 28, 2007 at 12:29 pm #

Thanks everyone for all your kind words. I had a lot of fun making the video tutorial and I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Amy, like you I dislike the quality and size of YouTube videos. That’s why I’ve put a link under the YouTube video to a larger sized, better quality version.

Hummie, all I can say is ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!
    I’ll see what i can do about the problem.

8. Hummie December 28, 2007 at 12:51 pm #

Yes, its fine on my laptop wide screen….it’s just a problem with the template not being forgiving for small 750 px screens.

9. AmyL December 28, 2007 at 4:30 pm #

LOL. You would THINK that a college-educated individual could read the handy little download caption there in bold-face print and solve that problem herself. But noooooooo. Sheesh. I don’t even have the kids as an excuse, ’cause they’re visiting Grandma! Sorry about that Karen. :D

10. Lynn December 28, 2007 at 6:48 pm #

That is really neat, thank you. I can’t wait to try myself now, it looks so easy!

11. karooch December 28, 2007 at 8:22 pm #

No worries Amy. It’s the sort of thing I do myself all the time.

Go for it Lynn. It really is easy.

12. Antoinette December 28, 2007 at 10:32 pm #

Great video Karen. Slowly I’m thinking of giving PS another try. I saw several things in your tuts that I don’t think I can do in PSP (or maybe it’s possible, but I just don’t know how – lol).
    I’d like to add that I can understand each word you say, you speak clearly and at the right speed for me (as a Dutchie :) ) Thanks for all the tuts – keep ‘m coming!

13. Tink December 29, 2007 at 2:25 am #

Excellent tutorial. Scanner isn’t working right now, but don’t see why I can just use my camera to take a pict and download it with much the same results.

14. Lynn December 29, 2007 at 5:33 pm #

Thanks again for this – I spent far too long yesterday scanning and playing around in photoshop, but it is really easy:) I can see me using this time and time gain, thank you!

15. karooch December 29, 2007 at 8:37 pm #

Thanks Antoinette. I try to be conscious about speaking clearly and slower that normal because I know that ‘normal’ speech tends to come out a bit rushed on audio tracks. I’m glad you feel that it’s working. I don’t really understand too much about the difference between the Photoshop world and the PSP world so i can’t say it all techniques can be done in PSP or not. But once you’ve used PSP then PSE should be a reasonably easy learning curve. You just have to get used to things being in the ‘wrong’ place.

That sounds like a good idea Tink. I should expect that your camera would work just as well as a scanner if you can get a clear enough picture. Let me know how you go.

Glad you found the tutorial useful Lynn. It should be really handy in designing papers with interesting edges.

16. Olga December 30, 2007 at 1:55 am #

It’s a fantastic tutorial and I have to give it a go because it looks a really interesting one. Thanks so much for the effort of putting all this together as I’m sure it has taken quite some time preparing it. :D

I hope you had a great Christmas celebrations, and the Christmas Carol for St Stephen’s day was wonderful. In Ireland the 26th is also a holiday as in Britain, but the day is called St Stephen and I have never heard about that story or carol. :) Being old English I needed to read the carol a couple of times to understanding it, but it’s been worth it. :D Thanks a million for sharing that too. :D

Congratulations on the tutorial, it’s fantastic and you sure know how to explain this kind of things. About the Blogrush I use Firefox and I had no problem whatsoever. I also seem to have a big screen so I guess that might have helped me watching the video. :)

Happy New Year and best wishes.:O)

17. karooch January 1, 2008 at 12:01 pm #

Glad you enjoyed the tutorial Olga. They take a bit of time to do but they’re very satisfying. And I’m sure that I’ll be able to do them a bit quicker as I become more experienced with the medium. I think the secret is not to be too much of a perfectionist and don’t get too hung up on some of the glitches.

So are you in the North or the South of Ireland. As a part Irish girl myself and a lover of the whole country I’m always interested in anything Irish.

18. Census January 4, 2008 at 7:18 pm #

Wonderful video Karen!! You made it soo clear and sounded soo simple!! It was great to hear what you sounded like too!! Great job!

19. karooch January 7, 2008 at 9:06 pm #

Thanks June. These videos have helped me come to terms with hearing my own voice. A weird experience.

20. Kelly Shults January 15, 2008 at 2:08 am #

Great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

21. karooch January 15, 2008 at 8:51 am #

Glad you enjoyed it Kelly. I’ll be making another one soon.

22. DreamScrapper January 18, 2008 at 8:29 am #

Very well done, Karen! I have not made my own curled edges from scratch before but I will definitely be trying this technique. There are a few things I would do differently in PS but for the most part, great tut! Thanks for sharing this!

23. karooch January 18, 2008 at 10:22 am #

It’s good to get the confirmation that these tutorials are useful to PS users too. I hope that PSP users can get value out of them as well.

24. Rachel February 18, 2008 at 9:13 am #

Wonderful tutorial! I didn’t even realize i had a brush selection tool until now. I just used the magic wand but this may work better in some cases. Thanks!

25. karooch February 18, 2008 at 8:41 pm #

I’m so glad you found it useful Rachel. I find there’s always some new technique to discover with Photoshop Elements.

26. Sheila (pianomama7) April 3, 2008 at 11:06 am #

This was excellent!!! Everything was so helpful!!!

27. karooch April 3, 2008 at 12:34 pm #

Thank you for your enthusiastic feedback Sheila. I’m so glad that the tutorial was so helpful to you.

28. djukaa November 25, 2008 at 7:49 am #

Hi,
    just wanted to thank you for this great tutorial. Very helpful, clear and fun to watch.
    So, Thank You! : )

29. karooch November 27, 2008 at 7:38 am #

Thank you Djukaa. I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I hope it helps you to make your own curled edge elements. It’s very satisfying to create your own elements to mix with digital scrapbook kits. I think it just makes you layouts that much more special.

1. Technique: Digital Curled Edges How-to (AND Freebie!) « Scrapbook Ideas - December 28, 2007

[...] For those visual learners out there, you can now find a video tutorial provided by Scraps of Mind. She uses Photoshop Elements and has slightly different techniques, but gets the same great [...]

2. The First Digital Scrapbooking Blog Carnival for the Year | Scraps Of Mind - January 2, 2008

[...] search for great tutorials continues with this Curled Edges Video Scrapbooking Tutorial posted at Scraps of [...]

3. Why I won't be upgrading to Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 | Scraps Of Mind - January 14, 2008

[...] Curled Edges Video Scrapbooking Tutorial [...]