3 Different Techniques for making Artist Trading Cards

Corina from Patchscrap sent me a lovely gift of some gorgeous pieces of brocade lace for Christmas. And since she and I have been playing with ATCs in recent times (see my article on Artist Trading Cards here to get the lowdown on what they are), I thought I might use some of it for a little project I had in my mind about ATCs.

From a scrapbooking point of view, an ATC can be created as:

• Traditional, with real life elements and embellishments;
  • Digital, created as a digital file using all digital elements;
  • and Hybrid, creating a major element(s) digitally and incorporating it into a design with real life embellishments.

So I thought it might be fun to make three different ATCs, one in each genre, using some of the brocade lace on each of them to link the three together. And you can see each of the different styles and tell me which you prefer.

Traditional Scrapbooking ATC

My Brocade Dream ATC is made with no use of the computer whatsoever. I’ve used the brocade lace as a backdrop for the focal element (the Edwardian lady) and added snippets of the gold brocade to the edges of the flower petals.

The title is partially hand written (I don’t think that it’s come out particularly well, especially after scanning) and partially from a fabric sticker I had. And some bling accents to add some sparkle.

I do enjoy this romantic style. I rarely use it on my Scrapbook layouts but I’m very fond of it for my ATCs.

Digital Scrapbooking ATC

brocade-birds.jpgBrocade Birds is a totally digital ATC.

I’ve used Thao Cosgrove’s Art Journal Collection for this piece. It’s one of my favourite kits.

I’ve scanned the brocade lace and turned it into a digital element. And then reduced the opacity to blend it a little more into the background. This is one of the big advantages with digital of course, you can play around with your elements until you get them looking just how you want them.

I’ve deliberately made the birds look like they’re flying off the paper for this one as I think it works in this instance. I would not normally use such a large shadow on my digital scrapbooking elements.

Hybrid Scrapbooking ATC

Finally I made Book of Brocade as a Hybrid Scrapbooking ATC.

I made the book from elements out of Erica Hite’s Bookworm Collection (another timeless digital scrapbooking kit). The little flower is part of the digital element I created, and then I added a real brad after I had printed and cut out the element.

Most of my ATCs are Hybrid ones as I frequently print out digital elements, resized to fit on the ATC format. I don’t always make specific elements though, such as this book.

So as you can see, all three techniques create very different styles of ATC and it’s great great fun to play around with them.

Thank you very much Corinna for giving me the brocade lace that has inspired this project. I had a great time working with it.

I’m not sure which one I like the best. I’m pleased with how the digital ATC has evolved, and I do like the romantic look of the traditional one. And although I don’t feel that this Hybrid one is one of my best, I enjoy the look of combining traditional techniques with digital scrapbooking ones.

What do you think? I’d love to hear your views on them and on the different approaches to creating them.

Other related Articles:

Trading ATCs

Scrapbook Layout Color Schemes

How to Digital Scrapbook

Hybrid Scrapbooking – the best of Both Worlds

13 Responses to 3 Different Techniques for making Artist Trading Cards

1. corina January 8, 2008 at 9:25 pm #

I am so impress ! This is now a great gift for me, thank you so much! !

2. Anne-Marie January 9, 2008 at 2:35 am #

Your work is just gorgeous! And inspiring! There’s something to be said for “found objects” even in scrapbooking.

3. Tink January 9, 2008 at 9:18 am #

I think each is very special in its own way. Though I think the digital one kept my attention longer.

4. karooch January 9, 2008 at 5:19 pm #

I’m happy that you’re pleased Corina. And I thank you again for the lovely gift.

I really enjoyed the challenge of making three different ones using the same brocade lace Anne Marie. The toughest part was in not using the computer at all for the first one. Wow i hadn’t realise how much I do where it has some part to play.

Thank you for your thoughts Tink. It’s hard for me to be objective when choosing a favourite.

5. Antoinette January 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm #

I like them all, so I can’t pick a favourite – from the “looks” point of view. However, knowing what a packrat I am, I go for the Digital ATC, as that will a) only take space online and my computer, b) the house is saved from storing yet another collection, c) keeps the hubby happy :)

6. Olga January 10, 2008 at 6:39 pm #

They are fantastic cards and a great idea. I think many of the techniques could be used for more conventional cards with your phone and address and make them different than the usual address cards. :)
    I love the digital one, the effect of the birds flying is terrific, it’s the one I prefer. I understand that a traditional scrapbooker might be interested in something traditional or hybrid, but to be honest I much prefer something digital or hybrid the most, as I’ve always been digital. :)

Beautiful article and great ideas and cards, thanks so much for it and best wishes. :O)

7. karooch January 10, 2008 at 8:42 pm #

Thanks Olga and Antoinette. I must admit I am please with the effect of the flying birds and I think if I had to pick one it would probably be that one.

But how can you think that there is such a thing as too many collections Antoinette? Impossible!

8. Shelley January 11, 2008 at 10:14 am #

Wow – beautiful ATCs! Each one has a special touch that stands out for me… love the little bling flowers, the birds and the font “Book of Brocade”… fantastic you included 3 different styles!

9. karooch January 12, 2008 at 8:45 pm #

Thanks Shelly. I find ATCs are great for playing with ideas and experimenting. I love that they’re so small. It’s a whole new perspective on scraping.

10. Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutorials March 26, 2008 at 5:00 am #

My kids and I have made several traditional ATC’s but have not ventured into digital ones yet. I really like the idea of combining the traditional and the digital since I do love to embellish the cards with beads and polymer clay transfers. I can see using some of my digital images to create great backgrounds and other ephemera. Thanks for the cool ideas!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutorials’s last blog post..Storing Polymer Clay – Plastic Wraps To Avoid

11. karooch March 26, 2008 at 8:27 am #

I love hybrid scrapbooking type projects Cindy and I particularly love using hybrid techniques on ATCs. But you can get sove very cool ATC designes with digital scrapbooking techniques too. And I’m starting to be drawn down that path more and more.

12. Gini January 22, 2009 at 10:20 am #

Wow I never would have thought of these; what a fabulous idea. Gorgeous!

13. karooch January 22, 2009 at 12:14 pm #

Thanks Gini. Glad you find them useful.