How to Make Word Art – Digital Scrapbooking Tutorial

Since I started the Scraps of Mind Weekly Word Art Newsletter I’ve had a number of people ask me how I make my Word Art.

So I’ve put together this video tutorial for you so you can have a go at making your own. Word Art is a lot of fun to make and can be as complicated or as simple as you choose your design to be.

I hope that you enjoy the video tutorial and try making your own.

I recommend that rather than viewing the YouTube version, if you have a reasonably good Internet connection, you click on the High Resolution version which is much easier to watch than the YouTube one.

Click here to watch the High Resolution Version of this Tutorial.

If you like this tutorial, please give it a Stumble and maybe click over to YouTube and give it a rating.

Other related Articles:

Come and get your Free Yummy Treats Scrapbooking Recipe Book

Curled Edges Digital Scrapbooking Video Tutorial

What’s the best Software for Digital Scrapbooking

50 Responses to How to Make Word Art – Digital Scrapbooking Tutorial

1. Yvonne Russell January 23, 2008 at 7:28 pm #

Cool. I’m going to try this. Thanks Karen.

2. Raymond Chua January 24, 2008 at 1:04 am #

Hi Karen,

I watched the video twice. The first time to get the idea and the second time as hands on. ;)

However, I couldn’t find the fonts that you use in my Photoshop. :(

Anyway, I have to admit that I have learned so much thing from your tutorial. Thank you so much. :)

3. Tink January 24, 2008 at 5:33 am #

Great tutorial Karooch. Maybe one of the days, I’ll give it a hand myself, LOL. Or maybe I’ll just wait for yours.

4. Birney Summers January 24, 2008 at 8:47 am #

You tutorial is very useful. I don’t scrap book but I do use bits and pieces of Word Art in making promotional posters in my day job to promote energy awareness. A little color and some eye catching headline art helps folks to notice and read them.

Now I know where to get ideas and help.

Energy Boomer

5. Mellan January 24, 2008 at 9:58 am #

Thank you so very much for the Word Art tutorial! It is wonderful and so thoughtful of you to make it for me!

Mellan :)

6. karooch January 24, 2008 at 10:32 am #

Glad you likes the tutorial folks. It was fun to make.

I’m happy to hear that I haven’t put myself out of business (in the Word Art department) with it Tink.

7. GG January 24, 2008 at 12:33 pm #

Just a heads up–got the tutorial but not on YouTube. Said it was not longer visible. Great job–what a project on top of the project!

8. karooch January 24, 2008 at 4:12 pm #

EEEK! I don’t know what happened there Diana but I’ve fixed it now.
    Thanks for letting me know.

9. Olga January 29, 2008 at 10:14 pm #

Thanks so much for the tutorial, it should be a great help to start doing some word art and try new things. :)

Best wishes. :O)

10. karooch January 29, 2008 at 10:27 pm #

Let me know if you post any Word Art on your blog Olga.

11. Katy January 30, 2008 at 1:30 am #

Karooch! I LOVED your tutorial! I’m going to start playing with my program and make a few of my own Word Art things.

12. karooch January 31, 2008 at 8:46 am #

Great news Katy. I’d love to hear how you go with your adventures in Word Art.

13. KarenD April 2, 2008 at 9:28 am #

awww. :( Video is no longer available. I would have loved to have watched this and learned.

14. karooch April 2, 2008 at 12:58 pm #

Not sure what you mean Karen. The video is still available and it’s visible in the post above.
    YouTube seems to have been having some problems over the last few days. And I have noticed that some videos are not appearing in my Firefox Browser. Have you tried viewing it in IE? Or try clicking on the High Res version.

15. KarenD April 2, 2008 at 3:26 pm #

I tried the video again and it came right up. What a cool video! I use paint shop but can see where it is a lot alike. You do beautiful word art. Maybe after watching your video, I might just give it a try. LOL Thank you much!

16. karooch April 2, 2008 at 6:44 pm #

Thank you Karen. I’m flattered that I might have provided some inspiration for you to try this yourself. Glad to hear the video worked OK for you.

17. sherry April 25, 2008 at 9:58 am #

Tried to watch your video tonight, but it was no longer available .

18. karooch April 25, 2008 at 6:36 pm #

I don’t know what’s going on Sherry because the YouTube details haven’t changed and I certainly haven’t altered the access. It seems to be working both on YouTube and on Scraps of Mind now. But if you still have trouble I recommend you click on the link to the High Resolution Version just under the YouTube video on this post. It’s a better viewing experience anyway.

19. Linda June 5, 2008 at 3:40 am #

thank you so much for the word art tutorial. that’s just what i needed. now i’m inspired to make my own.

20. karooch June 5, 2008 at 11:04 am #

Yay!! You go for it Linda.

21. Bobette Bryan July 13, 2008 at 10:25 pm #

Great tutorial! I learned a lot. Thanks so much!

22. Arlene Anderson August 12, 2008 at 11:44 am #

Just tried to watch both the UTube version and the HD version – both said it was no longer available. Anywhere else I can watch it? thanks.

23. Arlene Anderson August 13, 2008 at 1:09 am #

Thanks for the new link Karen – very informative tutorial. I’m going to give it a try in PSE6 – love that program.

Thanks again.

24. Marian September 1, 2008 at 9:37 pm #

Thank you sooo much for your tutorial; I finally know now how to make my own word art for my digital scrap booking.

Just 1 more question: how do you make a word art with words in a complete circle ?

Lots of greetings from Belgium

25. karooch September 3, 2008 at 1:47 pm #

I use the Warp Text function in the Type tool Marian.

26. blopezh February 8, 2009 at 6:18 am #

Great tutorial… thanks!

27. Dawn n February 26, 2009 at 12:28 am #

Very nice thank you!!

28. Julie April 9, 2009 at 1:22 pm #

Very much enjoyed your tutorial. Thanks for the insight. I look forward to trying my own hand at it. :)

29. Elaine September 23, 2009 at 12:20 am #

I have enjoyed your video tutorials so much. I am not able to get this one there is an error.
    Elaine
    Sarasota FL

30. karooch September 23, 2009 at 11:15 pm #

For some reason Elaine, the YouTube version plays up from time to time. Click on the High Resolution version and you should be right. And it’s better quality too.

31. Dawn January 22, 2010 at 2:18 am #

Awesome tutorial!!!! Thanks so much.

32. Shirley Swoope March 3, 2010 at 5:57 am #

This is the first thing that I think I can do a reasonable job in with Photoshop elements, thanks to your very easy and simple tutorial to follow.

Thanks so much.

33. karooch March 4, 2010 at 7:58 am #

Thank you for your complement Shirley.

I’m glad you found the tutorial helpful. If you’d like to try more of my tutorials you can find them in the Articles page on Scraps of Mind (see the top navigation bar) and if you are a beginner to digital scrapbooking try my digital scrapbooking for beginners web site at http://www.StepByStepDigitalScrapbook.com

34. Alexis April 14, 2010 at 3:42 am #

I have designed word art but it takes me forever! Your simple approach is just wonderful! Thank you so very much for sharing this very useful tip!

Much continued success!

• karooch April 14, 2010 at 8:39 pm #

You’re very welcome Alexis. I’m glad you found it helpful. I’ve had some really good feedback on this video.

35. Cathy October 11, 2010 at 10:52 pm #

Super video and very easy to follow along with you.
    I am new to Digital Scrapping and looking forward to making my first picture.

36. Mary Cardini- Anderson January 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

I have been teaching myself how to make my own Word Art for the past two weeks. Thank you for sharing your tutorial. I found it to be easy to understand and fun.

Mary

• karooch January 30, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

Glad you enjoyed the tutorial Mary. Hope it helped you in making your own word art.

37. DebraK August 7, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

Great tutorial- I have bookmarked it for future ref. I have PhotoShop Elements but have not learned all the many facets of it. Your tutorial was a great help–thank you so much!

38. LindaH May 23, 2012 at 1:08 am #

Thank you so very much for this tutorial. I LOVE IT and it actually works for me. Your point by point is fantastic. I do have a question, I have Photoshop Elements 9 and when I open the blank file, it doesn’t fill the area and it is hard to see what I’m doing at times. How do you get the transparent file to fill the area?
    Thank you so much for this video.

• karooch May 23, 2012 at 9:09 am #

Hi Linda. Very glad you enjoyed the Word Art Tutorial. If you use the zoom function, either on your top menu bar or via the scroll wheel on your mouse you can vary the visual size of the file in your workspace. This won’t actually change the size of the file but you can expand what you’re seeing so that you can work more comfortably with it.

39. LindaH May 24, 2012 at 3:50 am #

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I knew it had to be easy but I’m pretty new to photoshop elements.

• karooch May 24, 2012 at 8:46 am #

No problems Linda. Everything’s a bit of a challenge when you’re new to it. But it does get easier, I promise. If you want a bit of extra help check out my Step by Step Digital Scrapbook Tutorials for Beginners. You’ll get all the basic techniques you need to find your way around PSE plus some cool digital scrapbooking techniques.

40. Magenta May 27, 2012 at 7:05 am #

That was a very informative tutorial. I have just started teaching myself to do digital tag making and wondered how to do word art, especially since I don’t have any of the PSP programs but use GIMP. I think I may be able to use your instructions with GIMP. Anyway, thanks!

• karooch May 27, 2012 at 9:22 am #

Hi Magenta. The principles for what you do will apply regardless of what software you’re using. It’s only the names of the tools and the location of them that may differ.

41. Z Smith October 25, 2012 at 2:18 am #

Brilliant! Exactly what I’ve been looking for. Thank you soooo much!

1. Unbelievable Paper Art! | Scraps Of Mind - February 18, 2008

[…] How to make Word Art – Digital Scrapbooking Video Tutorial […]

2. Top 10 Scrapbooking Articles of All Time | Scraps Of Mind - August 27, 2008

[…] How to Make Word Art – 2,204 […]

3. Scraps Of Mind » Blog Archive » Digital Scrapbooking Tutorials – Create a Featured Area on Your Photo - May 7, 2010

[…] How to Make Word Art – Digital Scrapbooking Video Tutorial […]