Methodical or Haphazard Scrapbooker – Which are You?

Are you a Methodical Scrapbooker or a Haphazard Scrapbooker?

layouts.jpgWhen you decide to create a new scrapbook layout do you put together a detailed plan of what you are going to do and what you will need, or do you just go with the flow and ‘let it happen’?

Here’s a look at these two approaches.

See if you can recognise some (or all) of these scrapbooking traits in yourself.

Mary the Methodical Scrapbooker

Mary likes to be in total control of the process.

First and foremost a plan of the scrapbook layout must be drawn up with a level of detail that is clear, crisp and straightforward to follow.

If working from a sketch, any modifications and customisation will be made at this point to tailor the sketch to the specific layout. The sketch then becomes Mary’s visual instruction template rather than a guideline.

Mary now selects all the papers and embellishments required for the project, before starting on the scrapbook layout.
If she’s making a paper layout, this may include a visit to the LSS with a detailed list of requirements for the layout. Or if she’s making a digital scrapbook layout it may involve an hour or two scrolling through the hundreds of digital scrapbooking kits that Mary has stored on her computer. And then she will collect all the selected elements into a single location/folder to make them easy to access as the scrapbook layout is built.

Methodical Mary edits and crops to size all her photos before the layout is started.

Her journaling is planned out and fits the allocated space on the scrapbook layout plan.

Once all this detailed preparation is complete Mary is ready to start building the scrapbook layout and all the components are assembled smoothly according to the plan.
There may be some small deviation from the plan as the layout develops, but in the main Mary will follow that plan that she has taken such pains over to create the scrapbook layout that she envisioned at the beginning.

Mary’s approach (or something similar) is perfect for those of us who have a tendency towards being a ‘control freak’. Most of the mental and creative effort goes into the plan and that’s where Mary the Methodical Scrapbooker gets a lot of satisfaction. Good preparation up front takes some time but the resulting scrapbook layout is quickly created once the preparation is completed.

Hetty The Haphazard Scrapbooker

Hetty the Haphazard Scrapbooker spends the minimum time in planning and preparation. Chances are her scrapbook layout will be created from a blank canvas rather than from a sketched idea. Or from a vague scrapbook idea that’s not fully formulated in her mind yet.

Hetty will choose a focal element (usually a photo) and then dive into her stash to produce a background paper that will work as the base.

She places the photo in a temporarily position on the paper and then the hunt begins for the next paper or embellishment to add to the layout. As this is discovered and added, Hetty moves the photo around to incorporate it. And possibly the previously selected background paper is discarded and replaced with another selection.

Then the hunt is on again for the next piece of the layout. And the existing elements are moved around as it is tried out in different places.

This is repeated as Hetty ‘discovers’ each element and incorporates into her layout. Many of these will be discarded along the way as the layout evolves until it achieves a generally pleasing shape and structure that Hetty is happy with.

Then she’ll add some final elements, such as title and journaling, which she possibly had not given any thought to until this point (probably moving other elements around again in the process).

And finally Hetty’s scrapbook layout is completed. Although Hetty is a bit of a ‘fiddler’ and she can’t resist revisiting the layout and tweaking it some more before she finally accepts it as complete.

So what kind of a scrapbooker are you?

I suspect for most of us we fall somewhere in the middle between Mary and Hetty. I know that I can identify characteristics from both approaches in the way I go about creating a scrapbook layout. And I find that I’m often more likely to take a more ‘Hetty’ approach with my digital layouts and a slightly more ‘Mary’ approach with my paper layouts.

And what about you? Did you identify any of your scrapbooking idiosyncrasies in this article? Let us know in the comments section how you fit into these approaches.

And maybe some of the steps that you might follow that I haven’t included here.

Other Related Articles:

How to Digital Scrapbook

What Kind of a Scrapbooker are You?

10 Top Ways to Rekindle your Scrapbooking Inspiration

Like to give Digital Scrapbooking a try?

Then click over to Step by Step Digital Scrapbook where you’ll find everything you need to know to get yourself started.

16 Responses to Methodical or Haphazard Scrapbooker – Which are You?

1. Hannah March 5, 2008 at 8:04 pm #

I’m definitely somewhere in the middle, but leaning more towards Mary. I’d be surprised if anybody was 100% like Mary 100% of the time, she seems a little *too* organised, LOL. After all, scrapbooking is a creative process and you have to have some flexibility ;-)

Hannah’s last blog post..Love letters

2. chris March 5, 2008 at 10:32 pm #

ROFL… just call me Hatty. OMG that was so scary… I could have written that about myself, well if I had dared to write it down. AMAZING but so cool. Thanks for sharing that it was sooooo funny.
    I just popped over from June’s blog and am so glad I did. Love your blog it’s fab!! Will be adding you to my fab places to visit if you don’t mind :D

chris’s last blog post..Free Digital Paper Pack and ….

3. PreSchool Mama March 6, 2008 at 12:58 am #

I am in the middle too, but am probably leaning towards Mary. Which quite frankly, frightened me as I read it!

PreSchool Mama’s last blog post..25 Chores for Your PreSchooler

4. Robert March 6, 2008 at 1:04 am #

I guess in many parts of life, balance is always good =), and it seems applied to scrapbooking as well.
    I read about spontaneity from Scott H Young’s blog, it said that spontaneity not the opposite of planning or preparation. Spontaneity is the opposite of cowardice, that’s why we need some spontaneity in life. I guess that it will be useful for scrapbooking too… to open out more of your creative side =)

Cheers,
    Robert

Robert @ reason4smile’s last blog post..In the pursuit of happiness…

5. Francisco (Houston Wedding DJ) Perez March 6, 2008 at 1:50 am #

LOL, I’m leaning more towards Hetty!

Francisco (Houston Wedding DJ) Perez’s last blog post..Pictures of the Photo Booth

6. Tink March 6, 2008 at 2:26 am #

Middle of the road myself. I usually pick the photos, then search for a sketch. After that it’s all hands to the wind, as I search, toss, search and toss some more, LOL.

7. karooch March 6, 2008 at 8:34 am #

I agree Hannah and PreSchool Mama, Mary and Hetty are two very extreme scrappers. I don’t think I could deal with being 100% either of them. I reckon I’m a bit of a blend. Leaning towards mary for paper scrapping and hetty for digital scrapping. Does that mean I have an identity crisis?

Searching and tossin sounds like mee Tink.

Thanks for joining us Chris. So glad you’ve popped over from June’s blog. I love her stuff too.

Robert thanks for your comments. Yes I guess this is a bit of an alegory for balance in your life. I didn’t think of that when I wrote it.

Francisco, somehow I thought you’d identify more with Mary. Just goes to show.

8. Antoinette March 8, 2008 at 1:10 am #

LOL – I’m 100% Hetty and though it may take longer to finish the layout it’s such a joy when suddenly something “clicks” and you get the result on the canvas that shows exactly the feeling you were looking for :)

9. Home Office Organization - Sherri March 8, 2008 at 5:33 am #

I am definitely in the haphazard category! My scrapbooks are a mess and unfinished. I put things in it hoping to get back to it soon, but soon doesn’t come very often, so I have lots of loose stuff crammed into pages, and I pray I’m careful enough when I pick a book up that I don’t allow anything to fall out of place.

Home Office Organization – Sherri’s last blog post..Update: After 11 Days of Backlink Building

10. karooch March 8, 2008 at 7:42 am #

I think digital scrapbooking tends to lend itself to the Hetty approach Antoinette. I know it does for me.

Sounds like you’ll have to apply some of your office organisation techniques to your scrapbooking Sherri. I know how you can get carried away with enthusiasm for a layout though, and then if you don’t finish it in a reasonable time frame it can get left to one side whilst you start the next project. Do you use page protectors to store your unfinished projects and associated bits in to keep everything together?

11. Olga March 14, 2008 at 11:34 pm #

Very funny article. :D
    I’m actually Hetty in fact I’m worse than Hetty I sometimes don’t even know which photo I’m going to scrap just that I’m going to scrap a layout, that occasionally is not finish and stays in the computer begging me to finish it. So I’m quite a disaster and unfortunately it’s similar in my life, I do tend to let things for the last minute and I’m very lucky than I’m really quick in those last minute sprints, but not always. LOL
    Anyway what I’ve learnt about people like Mary is that in fact they like the end result of their work a layout or whatever is the result, but the thing, they really relish on, is the process: choosing the elements, the papers, making the sketch, planing everything right and perfectly. That’s the reason they spend so much time and effort preparing and organizing everything.

Thanks so much for the article, it’s fantastic and best wishes. :O)

12. karooch March 15, 2008 at 8:13 pm #

That’s funny Olga. I had you figures more as a Mary than a Hetty. Just goes to show.
    Yes I think that you’re right about the enjoyment of the process. One of my friends (in fact the one I travel overseas with) is very Mary-esque. When we decide to go on a new trip, she immediately throws herself into the planning of it with enormous enthusiasm and obsession. She adores the whole process almost as much as the end result.

13. denise March 18, 2008 at 4:51 am #

Oh my goodness, you can call me MattieHary the Challenged, always spying for another way to do something, almost always starting a scrap from a challenge..

Shoot, sometimes i just take the same photo and run in as many directions as i can…

14. karooch March 18, 2008 at 8:44 am #

MattieHary the Challenged! I love it Denise.

I can almost feel you running around as I read your comment.

1. Make a hybrid Scrapbooking Layout - March 27, 2008

[…] Methodical or Haphazard Scrapbooker – Which are you? […]

2. Hybrid Scrapbooking - the Best of Both Worlds | Scraps Of Mind - May 29, 2008

[…] to design my layouts ‘on the fly’ so to speak, instead of planning them out. Rather like Haphazard Hetty from an earlier […]