Try Some Repetition in your Scrapbook Layouts

When it comes to scrapbook layout design it’s a good thing to repeat yourself.

When it comes to scrapbook layout design it’s a good thing to repeat yourself.

rialto-bridge.jpg

I know that sometimes you have so much you want to put on your scrapbook layout or maybe lots of photos that you want to try and incorporate in that oh so small 12×12 space. And you may not want to repeat elements when there are so many more vying for a place on the page. But there is a lot of visual power in repetition.

The eye jumps around all over the place when it’s trying to take in lots of information. That’s why we use techniques like Z-movement and the Visual Triangle to help guide it through a scrapbook layout design. And whilst the eye is jumping around your layout it’s not really focusing on your key point. This is usually the photo or it may be a particular theme or shape which your design has been built around.

Repeating this element in your layout will create more of a visual impact on the viewer’s eye and will help them to absorb the visual message you are sending them. It makes sense if you think about it. And as a scrapbook idea, I really like it.

In my Rialto Bridge scrapbook layout I’ve repeated the photo in the background to ensure the viewer’s eye is drawn to the bridge. And credits go to Valerie Randall of Scrap Girls for her wonderful Altered State kit. I just love the papers in that kit.

Repetition of scrapbook layout elements also has the effect of adding structure to your scrapbook layout design and make it easier to ‘pull’ the overall page together.

So why not try some repetition on your scrapbook layouts?

Ah said, Ah said, Why not try some repetition on your scrapbook layouts?

Sorry… I just had a bit of a Foghorn Leghorn moment.

Other related Articles:

Scrapbooking Techniques and Tips – The Visual Triangle

How to Digital Scrapbook

Free Scrapbooking Recipe Book

, ,

14 Responses to Try Some Repetition in your Scrapbook Layouts

1. Yvonne Russell April 9, 2008 at 11:01 pm #

This looks really effective, Karen – yet it’s such a simple idea. Great stuff!

Yvonne Russell’s last blog post..Are You Using The 80-20 Rule For Freelance Writing?

2. karooch April 9, 2008 at 11:31 pm #

Thanks Yvonne. I’m quite pleased with how this layout came out. The repetition thing is a simple technique but it can be very effective.

3. Brooke - in Oregon April 10, 2008 at 12:00 am #

LOVE the layout! I have a photo very similar to this one, so I am going to have to ‘lift’ your idea cause it is SUPER :)

Good article too and you make a great point. You really are a wealth of great information.

I watched your video last night about the recipe layout. Totally love to listen to you speak! I started on my layout too. Any kind of recipe as long as it is a dessert, right?

Brooke – in Oregon’s last blog post..Most Beautiful

4. Raymond Chua April 10, 2008 at 1:29 am #

Hi Karen,

Thanks for showing me the beauty of repetition.

What a great idea!

Raymond Chua’s last blog post..The Potion to Cure Your Wealth Disease

5. Tara April 10, 2008 at 8:38 am #

Wow, great layout.

Tara’s last blog post..Southern Stripping

6. karooch April 10, 2008 at 9:31 am #

Raymond and Tara thank you. I was please at how the photo blened into the background and the aged look I managed to create. Very Venetian.

Brooke, thank you. I’m so glad my articles can help and inspire you. And I’m flattered that you would scraplift my layout.

I’m looking forward to seeing your layout for the Scrapbooking Recipe Book Group Project. And yes, any recipe as long as it’s a Sweet Treat.

7. bathroombuzz April 10, 2008 at 10:55 pm #

hi Karen, great idea on repeating our scrapbook layouts, very beautiful layout, indeed.

bathroombuzz’s last blog post..Tara.Logic Collection by Dornbracht

8. corina April 15, 2008 at 8:03 pm #

Thank you Karen for this lovely page!

corina’s last blog post..A flower arrangement

9. DreamScrapper April 29, 2008 at 12:11 pm #

Karen, this was a great article! I was immediately captivated by your layout as I have recently started “branching out” into blended layouts. For the longest time, I kept to a more traditional “paper” look but once I tried the blending, I was hooked! Next fall, when I teach my digital scrapbooking classes IRL, I will be incorporating specific types of layout classes and I have a blending one earmarked as the first of the lot! I will definitely plug the design concept of repetition as well!

10. karooch April 29, 2008 at 2:27 pm #

Thanks Dreamscrapper. I love blending, it’s one of the things that makes digital scrapbooking so exciting.

11. Mr Article September 10, 2008 at 3:16 am #

That’s a very good idea and the image is fantastic, your blending is perfect. I’m jealous.

Mr Articles last blog post..What do snails eat?

12. Glenda October 12, 2008 at 11:55 am #

you are such a dear, I just found your website, while looking on Utube for tutorials, and I thank you for your great teachings, Im always looking for new ideas, have a fantastic week.

13. karooch October 12, 2008 at 12:16 pm #

Thank you Glenda. I’m very happy that my tutorials have been helpful to you. I hope you enjoy exploring Scraps of Mind and finding more helpful and interesting articles.

1. Do Your Scrapbook Layouts Shape up — Scraps Of Mind - September 12, 2010