Make a Transparent Scrapbook Layout

Transparent scrapbook layouts have been a feature of the paper scrapbooking world for a year or so.

They’re a cool scrapbook idea. You make them by creating your scrapbook layout using a transparent plastic sheet as your background. Like the ones used for overhead projection slides.

And there are a few things you need to consider when you plan your layout design.

First you need to think about how it is going to look from the back. Remember with a transparent background, the back of all of your elements can be seen on the reverse.

One of the ways around this is to think about doing a reverse layout on the other side of the transparency. To make this successful, it’s probably a good idea to keep your layout design relatively simple with large shapes dominating, that are easy to work with when you design your reverse layout.

And make sure you exploit the transparent aspect by leaving plenty of space to see through.

Transparent layouts can look very cool and there’s a certain sense of satisfction in creating one, because they present challenges that are different from ‘normal’ scrapbook layouts.

But can digital scrapbookers create transparent layouts too?

city-of-paper.pngAnswer: Yes!!

The real value of the transparent technique is in it’s physical form, not it’s digital form.

It’s easy to just colour the background of your layout white and it looks like a transparent layout on the screen. But once you print it out, there’ll be nothing transparent about it.

The trick for digital scrapbookers is to save the layout file as a PNG rather than a JPEG. That way you can print it onto a transparent sheet and all the transparency will remain intact.

In fact you can even take it one step further and add a couple of ‘real’ elements to your printed digital transparent layout. Say a ribbon or a border of buttons. Brads are not so good as they look pretty ugly on the reverse side.

Once again digital and paper scrapbooking techniques come together to result in great scrapbooking.

I love Hybrid Scrapbooking.

And don’t forget, if you are interested in getting started in digital scrapbooking, there’s a bunch of information and videos to get you up and running over at Step by Step Digital Scrapbook – the site that’s especially for the beginner to digital scrapbooking.

Other Related Articles:

Hybrid Scrapbooking – the best of both worlds

Black and White Scrapbook Layouts

Learn How to Digital Scrapbook

9 Responses to Make a Transparent Scrapbook Layout

1. Brooke - in Oregon June 4, 2008 at 11:19 pm #

Great layout! Something about it really pops and I like the way the photo is the center of attraction!

Brooke – in Oregon’s last blog post..Crazy busy, but it’s all good :)

2. Lori June 4, 2008 at 11:46 pm #

I made scrapbooks for each of my kids when they graduated from high school. I still have 3 more to make, and with your help, they’ll be a lot more fun than the last 4! Thanks

3. DreamScrapper June 5, 2008 at 3:36 am #

What an interesting idea! Just this past weekend, I attended a two-day scrapbooking crop. I was the only digital girl there, as per usual. However, while there, I attended a class where we made a 12 x 12 acrylic page layout. I designed mine to hang on the wall. I have also seen some really neat acrylic albums but don’t know if I would have the patience to plan the layouts so that the album looks good overall! At least it’s good to know if I want to do a see-through type layout, I can!

4. karooch June 5, 2008 at 11:03 am #

Hey Brooke, Lori and DreamScrapper. I’m glad I’ve sparked your imagination with this.

I agree Dreamscrapper that I also don’t think that i could do a full album in acrylic. Although I have to admire some of the ones that I’ve seen. I think it would require a lot of planning to make sure that you set up the pages so they wouldn’t detract from the pages sitting on top of them.

But an individual layout is fun to make and doesn’t come with all the planning required for a whole album.

5. Corina June 8, 2008 at 1:49 am #

Lovely layout!

Corina’s last blog post..Crafts and joy

6. Jewellery Store India June 17, 2010 at 8:34 pm #

Thanks for this. As a newbie to digiscrapbooking I am a bit overwhelmed and lacking confidence in trying things out. This makes clearer to me so am off to have a bit more of a play.

7. Hoa Qu? January 9, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

Hi Good One :), I really like the page layout. wil try it.

1. Step by step digital scrapbook « PatchScrap - June 18, 2008

[…] look for inspiration on Karen’s Scrap of Mind. Last time she “got” me with how to make a transparent layout, so I had to try I used the mirror function to arrange the  two images on top, and then I […]

2. Texture Tuesday with Wildheart — Scraps Of Mind - August 24, 2012