Are Scrapbookers Right Brained or Left Brained?

Some of you may have come across the dancing lady before and driven yourself cross-eyed trying to make her turn the opposite way.

For those of you who haven’t, this is an exercise to discover if you operate predominantly from the right side of your brain or the left. Some people see her turning clockwise and some see her turning counter-clockwise.

dancer.gif

Further down this post is an explanation of what characteristics each side of the brain tends to promote.

But before you read that, I’d like to do a little experiment to see whether scrapbookers have a leaning to one side or the other.

You see although scrapbooking is clearly a creative occupation, and is terrific at bringing out a creative side of you that you might not have prevously realised you possessed, I think there is also a side to scrapbooking that appeals to those who like structure and planning.

So take a good long look at the dancing lady and then answer the survey below and let’s see whether scrapbooking attracts more right brained or left brained people. And by the way, there’s no ‘right’ (as in ‘correct’) answer to this.

n

{democracy:5}

And for those who would like to what all this means:

If you see the dancer turning clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa.

Left Brain Characteristics

• Presents possibilities
  • Safe
  • Risk taking
  • Words and language
  • Symbols and images
  • Can comprehend
  • Can “get it” (i.e. meaning)
  • Maths and science
  • Philosophy & religion
  • Reality based
  • Fantasy based
  • Past and present
  • Present and future
  • Knows object name
  • Knows object function
  • Acknowledges
  • Appreciates

So how did the lady dance for you?

And doesn’t she get dizzy going round and round like that?

Other Articles you might enjoy:

What’s the Best Software for Digital Scrapbooking?

Learn How to Digital Scrapbook

Black and White Scrapbook Layouts

10 Responses to Are Scrapbookers Right Brained or Left Brained?

1. Seona June 6, 2008 at 8:45 am #

Wow, that’s really freaky… I’d always considered myself a left-brain person, but not only do I see her turning clockwise, I actually can’t even get to grips with how you could possibly make it look like she’s turning counter-clockwise. Feeling slightly confused now.

2. karooch June 6, 2008 at 9:23 am #

Yes I found it surprising when I first did it Seona.

I found by really concentrating I could get her to turn the other way. But then When I tried to make that happen at another time it wouldn’t work. I guess it just depends on which bits of your brain are most active at the time.

3. Laura June 7, 2008 at 7:20 pm #

I had her turning clockwise 4 turns and then counterclockwise she kept doing that back and forth.
    preety interesting.

Laura’s last blog post..Embossed Dark Pink Papers for Rasberry Fields Kit

4. Laura June 7, 2008 at 7:28 pm #

had to play some more I got her to go to the right but not turn and then sway to the left but not turnn so she was actual swaying from side to side with no turms! Whoooooo Hooooo

5. Antoinette June 8, 2008 at 12:15 am #

Very weird! I was convinced she was turning counter-clockwise, took my eyes of her to read the survey and suddenly she turned clockwise.

6. karooch June 8, 2008 at 4:17 pm #

Hey Laura and Antoinette, maybe you’ve got both sides of your brain working at once. That’s got to be good, hasn’t it?

7. sue June 25, 2008 at 11:05 pm #

Wow, I could be looking at her dancing one direction and then for no reason at all she reversed her direction. Now I know why I never seem to get anything done. Guess my brain just keeps flip-flopping, ha. This was very interesting, brains are peculiar things!

8. Laura K. June 26, 2008 at 2:49 am #

This is so cool! I can make her turn any way I want. It’s amazing how this works!!

9. denise July 3, 2008 at 12:19 am #

OMG, first Laura, when you “played some more” she started “art dancing” (and if that ages me, so be it, lol)!
    i tried and tried to get her to go counter, then i gave up, scrolled down to read some more, looked up and she was going counter, but as soon as she saw me looking, she went back to clockwise. Cheeky gurl!
    If you ask me to describe myself, i would definitely describe MYSELF as left brain–not a creative bone in my body. But you know, i think scrapbook designing may have started to “soften” that a little. My mind “stays” in scrapbook design mode even at work (it is driving my student employees, to whom i am TRYING to pass on a little of the creative thinking business) it’s driving THEM nuts. But i AM looking at some things quite a bit differently than i was a year ago.
    Thanks for the light, Karen! Glad you’re back up. I have been so busy (and i used some of your wordart on my son’s graduation LOs that can be found on my blog) that i was completely UNAWARE of your difficulties until i started sifting my non-work email for the last 3 weeks and discovered that i was missing 2 weeks of the newsletter; discovered why when i started reading. So, glad you’re back. I haven’t felt any untoward effects of your hacker, so with thanks and praise, your database was well protected. Good to see you back. Thanks for your lovely work.

10. karooch July 3, 2008 at 12:31 pm #

Similar to you Denise I always considered myself a left brained person. But I’m firmly convinced that scrapbooking (especially digital scrapbooking) has ‘built up’ the right side of my brain and really developed a creative side in me that I never knew I possessed.