Scrapbooking is not a Waste of Time!!

I was just strolling around the Internet (as you do) last evening and I came across this article by Brenda Borenstein, an organising guru.

“…Why are we compelled to keep stashes of such treasures. Well, when it comes to mothers, I often think they end up holding on to so many mementoes because they want to have something to show for all the time, effort and energy they have put into their family…

…Scrapbooking is like duplication to me. You have to creatively capture an event or moment that you already experienced. My goodness, who has the time??…”

I guess it’s the same old same old when people who are not interested in something themselves. They just don’t get it.

And that’s fine, except when they don’t appear to respect others who don’t view things the same way as them.

First of all, I have to disagree that Mums keep mementos because they want to have something to show for all the time and effort and energy they have put into their family. That kind of implies that Mothers don’t consider that time spent to be of value and need something to remind them that it was worthwhile. I don’t believe that’s the case for most Mums.

It’s my belief that Mothers keep mementos because it’s our way of ‘capturing a moment of time’. We can hold and look at the item and it triggers all the feelings that we had at the time the memento was first introduced into our lives. It generates sensory memories that just reading a few lines in a journal can’t do.

And our lives are so fast and so busy that moments slip by so quickly and it’s difficult to hold onto them and store them properly in our memories.

Ms Borenstein may not be interested in these ‘memories’ right now but I suspect that there will come a time in her life when she will be.

I grew up in an Air Force family and we moved from base to base and house to house, as well as country to country. All our household needs were provided for us by the Air Force and we tended to travel pretty light.

When we emigrated to Australia we didn’t bring many things of the past with us. I regret that and I know my Mother regretted not having mementos of those earlier years.

So in answer to your question Brenda, who doesn’t have the time to make time for memories?

And by the way, I spend time scrapbooking because I find it relaxing and fun. And that’s something everyone should find time for in their life.

What do you think?

Other Related Articles:

Why I Scrapbook

Top 10 Scrapbook Ideas to Rekindle Your Scrapbooking Inspiration

Learn How to Digital Scrapbook

Step by Step Digital Scrapbook
is the digital scrapbooking site that’s designed especially for beginners.
Learn how to digital scrapbook and create wonderful art works from your photos quickly and easily on your computer.
No mess, no special workspace needed, no cleaning up.

14 Responses to Scrapbooking is not a Waste of Time!!

1. Brooke - in Oregon July 7, 2008 at 10:12 pm #

Oh my goodness, why do people want to make light of or even put down something others love? I find Golf to be a totally boring and sort of senseless game but there are THOUSANDS of people who love it, so why would I say it is a waste of time? It might feel like a waste of MY time but who would I be to judge what they others do with their time. Same thing with Scrapbooking, I LOVE the time I spend but I have a girlfriend who said she would rather get a root canal! lol She is a golfer so we realize ‘to each his/her own’. :) Besides it sure is more fun to look at scrapbook pages than it is to hear about a golf game! hee hee

Brooke – in Oregons last blog post..Crazy busy, but it’s all good :)

2. Brenda Wilson July 8, 2008 at 12:40 am #

I agree that one day this person will come around when memories are fading of a loved one who has passed and she wishes that she had held onto mementos and photos and new the stories behind them. One of the best things about scrapbooking is the time spent with my friends, so many laughs and stories, I wouldn’t give it up for anything.

Brenda

Brenda Wilsons last blog post..Snapfish – one week only – 4×6 prints one penny each

3. Michelle July 8, 2008 at 2:42 am #

I hear you. For me, scrapbooking isn’t as much about me as it is about my children and my children’s children. I don’t know a lot about my extended family and since all of my grandparents have passed, I don’t have them to talk to so that I can learn more. I would cherish stories from my parents’ childhoods. I want my grandchildren to have those stories and more. They may not know me, but they will be able to look back at my albums and understand how their father and uncles were when they were younger.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. When people ask me how I find the time to scrapbook, I ask them how they don’t.

Michelle

Michelles last blog post..Landscape Photos

4. Hannah July 8, 2008 at 6:00 am #

I think Ms Borenstein is probably just jealous that she doesn’t have the creativity to scrapbook herself! I believe it is an art form. So would Ms Borenstein say that painting, sculpture, pottery, etc. are a “waste of time”? I doubt it!

Hannahs last blog post..Perfect weather for …

5. karooch July 8, 2008 at 8:18 am #

Brooke, Brenda, Michelle and Hannah, all I can say is Hear Hear.

I think golf is a great comparison. to anyone who doesn’t play it, it appears that most boring way to spend a chunk of your time. But people who do play it are obsessed and find it the most riveting thing in the world. But they’re not considered to be wasting time.

When I was younger I wouldn’t have dreamed that I would be remotely interested in scrapbooking. The future was NOW. And there were plenty of people around me to fill in the blanks of the past. That’s not the case now, sadly. And I have grown to value my history, now that it’s fast slipping away.

Plus I love how creative scrapbooking makes me feel. That alone makes all the time well spent.

6. At Home Redesigns July 8, 2008 at 11:02 am #

I think scrapbooks will be well appreciated for generations to come. Keep it up!

At Home Redesignss last blog post..Don’t start grilling the burgers yet…

7. Jan - queenofkaos July 9, 2008 at 1:47 am #

I totally agree with you. If I have one regret, it’s that I didn’t take more pictures and keep more momentos IN AN ORGANIZED WAY.

Scrapbooking fits the bill perfectly and as you say, is a relaxing hobby and outlet for creativity that results in a priceless family heirloom.

I say that everyone who scrapbooks couldn’t be spending their time better! And there is probably a market for professional scrapbookers to do it for people who don’t have time.

Jan – queenofkaoss last blog post..A Deal With the Devil – or myself…

8. Doc KC July 9, 2008 at 1:59 am #

Anything that you are passionate about that makes you feel good about yourself and helps you feel a sense of accomplishment while ENJOYING what you’re doing is amazing! I 100% encourage scrapbooking or anything else that is healthy if you are passionate about it and it brings joy to your life!

Keep up the good work!

Doc KC

9. PreSchool Mama July 9, 2008 at 3:56 pm #

I am not into scrapbooking myself, but I was outraged by her statement that moms feel the need to scrapbook because they want something to show for all their sweat and tears! Those who preserve memories do it to share them with their kids when they are old enough, and not as some “recognition” for their work. Just because she’s cynical enough to dismiss anything that involves sentiments and memories, is no reason for her to denigrate others who take joy in preserving them.

10. karooch July 9, 2008 at 9:44 pm #

Some great responses to this article everyone. I think that we all feel a bit outraged when someone appears to interpret how we feel about who we are and what we do.
    You don’t need to be a scrapbooker to identify with that.

11. LLG aka denise July 29, 2008 at 1:43 am #

What i really regret is that i didn’t know of digital scrapbooking until 1 year ago. We have captured SOME moments on camera, but had we known what to do with them, we might have captured more. Paper scrapping? I have so many “craft” hobbies that i could not fit one more thing in the space! Especially one that had little bits of things! I never thought it was a waste of time, just that i could never, ever, do it. Now, i know that i can, and i’m a happy camper.

Really, it doesn’t matter whether Ms. B ever comes around. She may not–she’s entitled to her opinion, as long as she does not present a bill (or whatever passes for the introduction of law where you live) that would outlaw scrapping, she can think–and write whatever she pleases! The sticks and stones that she throws may hurt us, but we KNOW how to fix the hurts–capture another moment!

blessings to all and happy scrapping!

LLG

12. karooch July 29, 2008 at 9:59 pm #

And in the days before you discovered digital scrapbooking Denise, did you take all your digital photos on the lowest setting so you could fit more into the camera? When I think how many early digital photos I have which are all taken on the lowest setting and turn into postage stamps on my scrapbook layouts I could weep.

13. LLG aka denise July 29, 2008 at 11:51 pm #

No, that was never a problem after the first set: I read the manual after that and figured out how to bump up the resolution (why is it that with the cheap cameras–i don’t know how the expensive ones operate–that everything always comes out 72dpi? I realized quite soon that i was going to have to take my photos at 24 x 18 inches in order to get a decent 300dpi shot).

My major problem is i’m no good at shooting pictures unless i’m outdoors taking a picture of something that doesn’t move (and if i start shaking while i’m taking the picture, forget it even for the stills, LOL)!

I didn’t START using a digital camera until AFTER i started digital scrapping. I was so discouraged by my lack of picture taking talent with a non-digital camera (i think it might have had something to do with the camera–a nikkon SLR that i’d bought used and also purchased a new zoom, both at a really exhorbitant price for me, and which never, ever, gave me a picture that wasn’t blurry…sigh), and in the beginning, the price was high and i already had 2 costly mistakes in my camera bag, that i left all the picture taking to my partner. So we have about 20 albums of photos (thousands) and leftover packets of photos that we can’t bear to be without. One of my first purchases when i started scrapping was a color scanner and i always scan in at 300dpi and work back.

Hey, it’s been a year. My pictures still are not good (if you see a really good picture in one of my scraps and it’s not a landscape, i probably did not take it, LOL), and my LOs are not unique necessarily, but they are often not like other beautiful ones. But i keep on trying on both scores now. I’ve even picked up the SLR again, now that i can get them developed to CD. We’ll see.

denise

14. karooch July 30, 2008 at 8:36 am #

Hey Denise I can empathise with you. I am a shocking photographer. And I rely heavily on Photoshop Elements to get me out of trouble.

In my early days (before scrapbooking) I didn’t realise that you should reduct the physical size of the photo by increasing the resolution. So I just typed in the smaller dimensions and resampled it. Result…postage stamps for my layouts. There was a lot of gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair.