Hybrid Scrapbooking a 50th Card

I’ve just made this 50th birthday card for my brother and I thought I’d share it with you.

It’s a Hybrid scrapbooking card made using both paper scrapbooking and digital scrapbooking techniques and I must confess, this is my absolute favourite form of scrapbooking. It combines the touchy-feely satisfaction of working with paper with the convenience, versatility and virtually unlimited paper and embellishment options of digital scrapbooking.

I’m pretty chuffed with how it turned out. What do you think?

I’ve used this template before when I made a 50th Wedding Anniversary card for my Aunt and Uncle. And if you want to try it out you can download the template here. If you want to use it for digital cards just delete the white background and clip your digital papers to the outline shape.

When I make hybrid scrapbook cards I usually do the design on my computer first so I can play around with ideas. Even if I’m not intending to use digital papers I’ll usually pick a digital paper that’s similar to the ‘real’ one that I intend to use for the purpose of the design. And I’ll use digital elements to stand in for the ‘real life’ ones I’m planning to use. Things like brads and ribbons etc.

Once the design is done I work out which of the digital elements I’m going to use on the card and then print them out. It’s easy to change the color of them if they don’t quite coordinate with my other elements.

On this card I clipped the patterned digital paper I wanted to use (Cheryl Barber’s Etc Collection) to the template and then printed out the whole of the digital design on satin finish photo paper. Then I glued it onto cardstock which I’d printed with the template shape. I cut a slit in the card to thread the ribbon through on the inside before I glued the designed card to the card stock. If I was going to use ‘real’ brads I would also have fixed them to the papers before gluing onto the cardstock.

Then I printed several of the elements of the card separately onto satin photo paper, cut them out and adhered them to the card with foam tape to add further dimension. This worked particularly well with the focal photo because it meant I was able to run the real ribbon over the frame and under the photo.

Like I said earlier, I love the way hybrid scrapbooking combines the best of both of the scrapbooking worlds I love. If you haven’t tried it yourself I urge you to give it a go. It’s the perfect scrapbooking marriage.

And if you’re nervous about the idea of the digital scrapbooking part, just click on the banner below and check out the selection of Beginner Tutorials from Step by Step Digital Scrapbook to help you get started.

Other Related Articles:

50th Anniversary Card and Template

What is Hybrid Scrapbooking?

Full length Digital Scrapbook Tutorials

, , , ,

17 Responses to Hybrid Scrapbooking a 50th Card

1. Laura Kelly May 28, 2010 at 12:22 am #

All my scrapbooking is hybrid. I don’t own nor can afford a digital program right now but I do love all the wonderful matching papers and elements of digital and mixing them gives a great effect.

2. karooch May 29, 2010 at 12:35 pm #

Nice to hear from you again Laura. Yep, even without the software to manipulate them, there’s such a huge wealth of coordinating digital scrapbooking supplies that you can’t go wrong.

3. Antoinette June 3, 2010 at 2:36 am #

Great card Karen! And belated Happy Birthday to your brother :)
    I prefer the looks of the hybrid cards as there’s more depth than with just digital images. Yes, of course you can add drop shadows, but to me that’s not the same.
    *note to self: must try hybrid, must try hybrid!*

4. karooch June 3, 2010 at 8:07 am #

Note to Antoinette: Do it. Do it.

5. Brian June 16, 2010 at 6:33 am #

When you make your own cards people seem to appreciate them more. I know I always enjoy getting something home made over something store bought.

6. Nathan June 18, 2010 at 7:52 am #

That’s a great idea for a birthday gift. I would love to get something like this and would really cherish it for a my entire life. Great idea!!!

7. James June 24, 2010 at 3:56 am #

A very unique and inspiring idea for a gift. I’m sure they will cherish that much more than a hallmark card :)

8. Leviton June 24, 2010 at 11:47 pm #

How long did it take you to make that? I have to imagine a lot of work went into something so nice and hand crafted.

9. Precious One July 13, 2010 at 7:22 pm #

It’s a great idea for a gift that I know the one who will receive it will be very happy.

10. Marlene Lehman May 4, 2011 at 11:38 pm #

Love the looks of your card. Thanks so much for sharing the template.

11. karooch May 5, 2011 at 8:40 am #

Thanks Marlene. The template makes a great looking card. i hope you have fun with it.

12. Mojca April 27, 2012 at 11:32 pm #

fantastic 50th birthday card!!! thanks for the idea and template!

• karooch April 28, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Thanks a lot Mojca. Have fun with the template.

1. Hybrid Scrapbooking – the Best of Both Worlds — Scraps Of Mind - September 13, 2010

[…] Hybrid Scrapbooking a 50th card […]

2. Hybrid Scrapbooking – A Special Mini Album — Scraps Of Mind - September 15, 2010

[…] Hybrid Scrapbooking a 50th Birthday Card […]