My IKEA Kitchen Renovation Journey

I’ve been a bit distracted in recent weeks as I’m in the middle of a kitchen renovation.

If you’ve been there you’ll know how it goes.

It all started with a small, simple idea. I’d freshen up my kitchen by re-cladding the cupboard doors and panels. I was happy with the bench-tops and tile splash-back. As a project this shouldn’t be too demanding. How hard could it be?

Then I got seduced by all the wonderful IKEA storage options and next thing you know I have a three ring circus on my hands.

So now my old kitchen is all stacked up in my living room waiting to go to the tip. and we’re in the middle of installing my lovely new IKEA cupboards. Some of them have to have modifications to deal with some ‘special’ features of my kitchen area such as a central heating intake air vent which needs to be accommodated in one of the cupboards.

IKEAKitchenRenovation

Where's my Wall - y?

The tiles are no more and will be replaced with pressed aluminium splashbacks. Sadly when we took them off the wall they brought the plaster board with them so now I have a big hole where my wall should be.

And now that I’ve decided to replace my peninsula style bench with an island I’ve got a patch of floorboards that’s unvarnished and matching it to the rest of the floor may prove to be a bit of a challenge.

But I’m not fazed. despite all this the project is progressing well and I’m looking forward to having a fully functioning kitchen in a couple of weeks. By which time I will be well and truly over making the tea on the bathroom vanity top and doing the washing up in the bathroom basin.

Now here’s the bit where I ask for your help.

Not with my kitchen renovation. But with the scrapbooking of it.

I want to make a scrapbook layout covering the whole kitchen renovation experience.

I’ll be using lots of photos and I’m looking for some innovative ideas on how I might design the scrapbnook page.

I wrote an article a while ago about scrapbooking with multiple photos but those ideas are not what I want for this layout. I’m looking for something different.

So if you’ve got some ideas you could share with me I’d really really appreciate it. Just put them in the comments below.

And thanks a lot for your help.

15 Responses to My IKEA Kitchen Renovation Journey

1. Cheryl October 17, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

Oh my. What a terrible hole in the wall. Hope it all works out OK.
    Maybe you could try cropping your photos into 1 or 2 inch squares and making a checkerboard design. I did that for a layout of my vacation and it turned out really well. Plus you can make a sort of time line out of it too.

• karooch October 18, 2011 at 7:44 am #

Yes it was a bit of a shock when I first saw the wall Cheryl, but I’m OK now. And my kitchen is starting to shape up nicely.
      Thanks a lot for your scrapbook design suggestion. I like that idea and I’ll definitely be putting it on the short list.

2. Marla October 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm #

What fun! You could try and get hold of a plastic sleeve that folds over onto itself (or make one) and treat it like a “cupboard/door” of the old kitchen design. When you flip open the page it could be “the new kitchen”.

3. karooch October 18, 2011 at 6:46 pm #

Ooh, that’s an interesting idea Marla. I’ll definitely chew that one over. Thank you.

4. Margaret October 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

How about making a concertina folded album from cardstock and put all your photos on showing the story of your kitchen renovation and then stick the back of it to your scrapbook page. You can get quite a lot of photos on the page that way and it won’t look too cluttered.
    Hope you’ll post some pics of your kitchen when its finished.

5. Margaret October 18, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

oops sorry. I just followed the link in your post and saw that you’d already thought of that idea.

6. karooch October 20, 2011 at 7:29 am #

Not to worry Margaret. It’s still a good idea anyway. And yes, I’ll be posting thekitchen layout on Scraps of mind when it’s finished. And when my kitchen is finally finished too, of course.

7. Glona Smith October 21, 2011 at 1:30 am #

Oh how exciting, a new kitchen.
    If you want to do a ditigal page. What about putting a picture of the old kitchen on the page and fade it out, then add the next layers of different steps that are faded some. Finely add you new kitchen in full color. Maybe add a soft mask to the whole page and then a border.

• karooch October 21, 2011 at 7:22 am #

Oooh, I’m liking some of your ideas here Glona. I think i might play around with this and see what comes out. Thanks a lot.

8. Antoinette October 23, 2011 at 6:52 am #

No ideas from me, only my deepest sympathy for the mess and doing the dishes in the bathroom. :p Been there, done that, don’t want to do it EVER again! At the same time I envy you because 1) there’s nothing better than a brand new fitted kitchen and 2) I’m an Ikea junkie :D Looking forward to the ‘before’ and ‘after’ pics :)

• karooch October 23, 2011 at 5:50 pm #

It would have been horrendous if I had family living here with me Antoinette. But fortunately I’m here on my own so it’s not too bad. But I can’t say I’ll be sorry when the kitchen is finally finished. The cupboards are all in now but there’s a delay with the benchtops (isn’t there always) so I’m still ‘camping’ in my house.

9. Atria November 3, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

Finely add you new kitchen in full color. Maybe add a soft mask to the whole page and then a border.this is very exciting..

• karooch November 4, 2011 at 7:07 am #

Thanks a lot Atria. This is great! I’m getting some fabulouse ideas for this layout.

10. Jo November 14, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

I had my kitchen remodelled last year and it was a long messy and uncomfortable time. But the result was worth every minute. Hope you love your kitchen when it’s done as much as I love mine.
    I thought you might collage lots of photos onto a giant letter K for kitchen and then you’ll still have plenty of room to journal the story on the page. After all you wouldn’t want to forget what you went through.

11. karooch November 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

Thanks Jo. Your idea has got me thinking. Can you hear the little grey cells whirring?
    I know I’ll love the kitchen when it’s finished. It’s almost fully useable now. The dishwasher gets installed tomorrow and then it’s just a few finishing off things. It’ll be so good to live in a house again and not a building site.