Garden Party Digital Scrapbook Freebie
Digital scrapbook overlays are one of the most versatile elements you can use.
They can take a plain paper and dress it up.
They can add a whole new level of dimension to a layout
They can help to unify and ground your scrapbook layout design by providing an all round border.
They can be blended using the blending mode function in your graphics editing software to create heaps of different looks.
The list goes on. But I think you probably get the idea.
I like scrapbook overlays.
So I was a bit surprised when I discovered that I hadn’t included one in the Free Garden Party Mega Kit (if you’re not a member of The Garden Party you can see what it’s about here).
… until now.
Don’t know how to use it?
Well here are some ideas
First drag the overlay onto your layout. (Tip: Hold the control key down whilst you drag. You’ll keep a better grip on it that way.)
- You can recolor it by using the change color function in your software (Enhance>Adjust Color>Adjust Hue.Saturation in Photoshop Elements).
- You can adjust the opacity to make it a softer border.
- You can add a shadow to give it some extra dimension.
- You can play with the blending modes in your software to change the look and feel of it. In the scrapbook layout below I’ve used the Luminosity blending mode to get this soft look.
- You can do various combinations of the above. You might find that some actions will cancel out others. For example if you add a shadow after you’ve chosen a blending mode your overlay will revert back to Normal. Add your shadow first and then add the blending mode.
- You can drag it down to the size of your photo and sit it on top to make a soft translucent frame.
And if you’ve never used overlays before I have a couple of video tutorials that will give you step by step help as well as showing you lots of other cool digital scrapbooking techniques. You can check them out here: Intermediate Tutorial 3 and Advanced Tutorial 4
They each come with their own complimentary digital scrapbooking kit which includes at least one overlay.
I hope you enjoy playing with the Garden Party Overlay. And please do upload a copy of any scrapbook layouts or cards that you make with it to the Garden Party Facebook Page.
Let me know what you think. And please share this on Facebook or Twitter or wherever you talk with other scrapbookers.