Scrapbook Overlays

Garden Party Digital Scrapbook Freebie

Digital scrapbook overlays are one of the most versatile elements you can use.

They can take a plain paper and dress it up.

They can add a whole new level of dimension to a layout

They can help to unify and ground your scrapbook  layout design by providing an all round border.

They can be blended using the blending mode function in your graphics editing software to create heaps of different looks.

The list goes on. But I think you probably get the idea.

I like scrapbook overlays.

So I was a bit surprised when I discovered that I hadn’t included one in the Free Garden Party Mega Kit (if you’re not a member of  The Garden Party you can see what it’s about here).

… until now.

Click on the image to download

Don’t know how to use it?

Well here are some ideas

First drag the overlay onto your layout. (Tip: Hold the control key down whilst you drag. You’ll keep a better grip on it that way.)

• You can recolor it by using the change color function in your software (Enhance>Adjust Color>Adjust Hue.Saturation in Photoshop Elements).
  • You can adjust the opacity to make it a softer border.
  • You can add a shadow to give it some extra dimension.
  • You can play with the blending modes in your software to change the look and feel of it. In the scrapbook layout below I’ve used the Luminosity blending mode to get this soft look.

• You can do various combinations of the above. You might find that some actions will cancel out others. For example if you add a shadow after you’ve chosen a blending mode your overlay will revert back to Normal. Add your shadow first and then add the blending mode.
  • You can drag it down to the size of your photo and sit it on top to make a soft translucent frame.

And if you’ve never used overlays before I have a couple of video tutorials that will give you step by step help as well as showing you lots of other cool digital scrapbooking techniques. You can check them out here: Intermediate Tutorial 3 and Advanced Tutorial 4

They each come with their own complimentary digital scrapbooking kit which includes at least one overlay.

I hope you enjoy playing with the Garden Party Overlay. And please do upload a copy of any scrapbook layouts or cards that you make with it to the Garden Party Facebook Page.

Let me know what you think. And please share this on Facebook or Twitter or wherever you talk with other scrapbookers.

, , , ,

8 Responses to Scrapbook Overlays

1. Maggie August 16, 2012 at 9:21 am #

Hi Karen.This overlay is lovely. Thank you so much. And thank you for all the Garden Party Kit. I love it.

2. Susan August 16, 2012 at 11:33 am #

Thanks a lot for this beautiful overlay. I use paintshop pro not photoshop. Will this overlay work OK with paintshop?

• karooch August 16, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

Hi Maggie.
      Glad you like the overlay. I do have a bit of a soft spot for them. I hope you’ll share your layouts on The Garden Party Facebook Page here: https://www.facebook.com/?sk=welcome#!/TheGardenPartyDigitalScrapbookMegaKit

• karooch August 16, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

Hi Susan.
      The overlay is a PNG file which is a pretty universal format. So it will work in pretty much all of the major graphic software programs. All of the elements in The Garden Party Mega Kit use generic file formats so the kit can be used by everyone and not just by photoshop users.

3. Mary August 17, 2012 at 5:29 am #

Karen, the whole kit is wonderful. I love the overlay!!! It is soft and beautiful. I would love to see some ovelays to add to the kit. Also your TUTs are amazingly helpful. I am so new to digital scrapbooking and TUTs that help me understand what to do in a easy to understand format is essential. So thank you so very much for everything you do!!!!

• karooch August 17, 2012 at 8:11 am #

Thank you Mary. The Garden Party has become almost a part of my family now. And I love getting comments and emails like yours. It really makes my day. I’ve been getting some good feedback on the overlay so I think a Garden Party Overlay Pack might be in the near future.

4. Renee August 17, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

Thanks Karen for this gorgeous overlay. A beautiful addition to the Garden Party for sure! I love overlays but do not use them often enough.

• karooch August 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

Hi Renee.
      I think one of the best things about overlays for me is that they give you a chance to put your own twist on the look of a background paper by the way you choose to blend them. Even doing something as simple as playing with the opacity can make such a difference.