No more scrapbook alphabet frustrations!

Digital Scrapbooking freebie below!

I reckon alphabets are one of the major frustrations of scrapbooking!

You know how it goes. You’ve completed a gorgeous scrapbook layout and you need just the right letters to make your title. You go to your alphabet stash and either you don’t have any with the right look and feel for your scrapbook layout design or else you’re missing a few vital letters.

Of course if you’re a digital scrapbooker you just feel a little smug as you go to your digital alpha stash and select the style you want and change the color to suit your scrapbook layout.

But here’s the thing for paper scrapbookers.

Why not combine the best of both worlds?

Hybrid scrapbooking lets you combine digital elements with your paper scrapbook layouts. And you can get some stunning effects.

I made this birthday card for a friend’s daughter. The word ONE is a totally digital element which I created, printed out on photo card and cut out for my card.

ONEcard

To make it more interesting I clipped one of the papers from The Garden Party Mega Freebie Kit onto it. With Photoshop Elements you just place the paper layer on top of the template and press Ctrl+G then Ctrl+E. You can learn how to do it with my Step by Step Digital Scrapbook Intermediate Tutorial 5 here.

If you don’t have a graphic editing program like Photoshop Elements you can type your word into your word processing program and choose a color for your font that matches your layout. Print it onto good quality card and cut it out. It’s not as snazzy as clipping a patterned paper to the word but it can get you the title you need.

TIP: If you’re going to do this I suggest you choose a chunky font which will be easy to cut out. I used Baby Kruffy for my ONE as I like how the letters overlap.

Anyway, if you like this idea I have a digital scrapbook freebie for you to get you started. I’ve made you a set of number words from ONE to TEN as templates. You can clip a digital scrapbook paper to them or just paint them with the color of your choice, or even add a layer style (bevel is my favourite) to them to jazz them up. And if you want some extra help in how to use them Step by Step Digital Scrapbook Intermediate Tutorial 11 will take you through the method in easy to follow detail (as well as showing you a bunch of other cool digital scrapbooking techniques).

To download your digital scrapbooking freebie templates right click here and choose Save As…

So now you need never be without the right letters for your scrapbook layout title. And you won’t have to scratch your head over those missing letters in your alpha stash.

Goodbye to those scrapbooking alphabet frustrations.

Cheers

KarenSignature

PS. If you found this useful please help me share the shasbat out of it by clicking on the share buttons or emailing the link to this post to your friends. And maybe pop me a comment below to let me know I’m not talking to myself.

, , , , ,

12 Responses to No more scrapbook alphabet frustrations!

1. Charlie June 4, 2013 at 8:39 am #

These templates have come along at just the right time for me. Its my nephews fifth birthday party next weekend and I wanted to make a special card for him. Thank you very much for this freebie.

• karooch June 5, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Glad to be in the nick of time Charlie. I’m sure he’ll love his card.

2. Renee June 5, 2013 at 1:25 am #

Thanks Karen. These are great. I enjoy making cards for my grandchildren (ok the rest of my family too…LOL! ) and this is a great idea.

• karooch June 5, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

Hi Renee. Yes card making has become a bit of an addiction for me too. And of course now my family expects to get a hand made card from me. I think a bought one would be a bit of a let down for them.

3. Pep June 5, 2013 at 4:03 am #

Just getting ready for my GD birthday. Perfect. Thank you!

• karooch June 5, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

Hi Pep. I’m thinking that I couldn’t have timed this better. It must be birthday season.

4. Lucy Dorsey June 5, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Just in case your computer or software decides to shut down, you should “save as you go”- you don’t want to lose all of your hard work!!! ***NOTE*** There are so many different filing preferences for saving layouts. Some digi scrappers have a scrapbooking folder with 3 folders: one for all of their layered layouts, one for all of their web sharing layouts, and another for all of their layouts at high resolution for printing. I personally have a scrapbooking folder where I have one folder for *each* layout idea. In each layout folder I have: 1. a copy of the photo(s) that I may want to use. 2. (sometimes) a text file with ideas of how to scrap the photos, title ideas, and journaling.Once I start scrapping: 3. A layered file.Once I’m finished: 4. A file for web sharing. 5. A file for printing. This way, when I am ready to scrap I just go to one of these folders. When I am finished with a layout, I put the whole folder in the “finished layouts” folder. It’s up to you how you set up your filing “system”, just be sure to be consistent. :) For now, you will want to save a layered file- just in case you need to make changes later for typos, etc. {figure 3a} Click File>Save As. {figure 3b} Navigate to where you want to save your layout. Give your layout a name. (I usually name mine by who and what my layout is about, rather than the actual title- that I sometimes haven’t even thought of yet.) Click Save. While creating your layout, you will want to press Ctrl S OFTEN to continue saving the additional changes as you make them.

5. Elaine June 6, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

Thanks Karen, I love that you haven’t had to do too much else on the card as the ONE really is the centre point. Good for the days when your brain is in a daze.

• karooch June 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

Hmmm… that would be pretty much every day then Elaine. :)

6. Lilian June 7, 2013 at 4:31 am #

Thank you so much, I do a lot of birthday cards and scrapbook birthday pages and these will sure come in handy !!

7. Lucile September 4, 2013 at 6:53 am #

Hi Karen, Am wondering if you already went on trip to France.Our trip to Italy has been postponed until 2014.Nice card. Thanks again. Bless you.

• karooch September 4, 2013 at 5:40 pm #

Hi Lucile

As a matter of fact I’m flying out tomorrow. Woo Hoo! So looking forward to it.

Sorry to hear your trip has been postponed. But that does give you longer to enjoy looking forward to it.